Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM

Default Black stains on M1 Carbine stocks

Over the last decade, I have acquired two USGI stocks that have some serious-looking black stains on them --- like some ink or dark lubricant might have been spilled on them during their war service. One is an early Winchester and the other is a small-cartouche Quality Hardware. For the Winchester stock, I tired a cleaner like Citrus Green with no effect and also tried mineral spirits with no effect. So I just gave up and rubbed RLO on it, figuring it was hopeless. Now later this Quality Hardware stock comes along, and after rubbing it with steel wool, I see some similar black blemishes, looking like spilled black ink or liquid lubricant. Isn't there anything that will work in removing them? Have any of you dealt with similar dark stains?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Iron from blood combining with the tannins in the wood

If chemistry or woodworking's your thing,

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/p...ical-ebonizing

Last edited by meplat; 01-13-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 PM

wood bleach product with oxcilic acid will work.

I've used this stuff with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Savogran-1050...id%2Bacid&th=1
Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 AM

I have found this to work very well, I have done many, many dozens of military stocks and very few stains it has not taken out.
On the very most stubborn I have tried wood bleach afterwards with some success
I have been using PP for many, many years.Yes there are other products that do work but IMO PP works the best and fastest

If and only if you want to do a complete strip and refinish IMO this is the easiest , fastest way

Takes maybe 10 -15 minutes for a completly bare clean stock. You do not have to remove metal as PP wont hurt the finish (although I normally do)
I first take Purple Power degreaser (not Simple Green etc but Purple Power!) and put it in a spray bottle full strength
I then spray down the stock with degreaser, immediataly you will see years of grease. oil and dirt start to roll off. I do this in a Utility sink in workshop but can be done in a bucket etc

I then take a soft nylon bristle brush or green Scotchbrite pad and go over the stock.
Rinse well with hot water while rubbing with brush .
I will usually do procedure one more time except the last time wipe dry with cotton towel.
If stock is very oil soaked it may take another cleaning .
I then let set to dry out of direct heat source and let wood dry slowly, usually several days
This is what the wood looks like after drying
Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 AM

I think that meplat might have hit the nail on the head, because the dark stains appear to be other than grease or dirt. A chemical reaction between iron and tannin seems logical. And, the stain patterns are consistent with spilled blood.

But, I will try PP, as suggested by Olando, and if that doesn't work, maybe a little bit of bleach having oxolic acid applied just to the darkened wood locations.
Thanks, guys!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 AM

I have found that it may take several applications of wood bleach to get out the worst stubborn stains
Old 01-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 PM

Similar option... That works well over just a oil finish.

http://www.thomaspenrose.com/diy_stains01.htm

Good Luck
Charlie-Painter777
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 PM

Yes, thank-you.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 AM

Since I work out of a small skiff (just starting my 22nd year as a full time fishing guide) I'm quite familiar with Barkeepers Friend. I use the stuff on stubborn stains in fiberglass and other surfaces all the time and it's very effective - with no downsides to date... As noted in the thread that describes its use on wood - it is available in most grocery stores (but you may have to look for it a bit...). Highly recommend it for removing rust stains on plastic surfaces as well (fishing plugs used in salt or brackish waters of the Everglades..).