Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Ghost says that if we BR owners use this enough he might make it a sticky. Start posting.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM

Mine are still in parts, and trading for some, but soon J.R. soon.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Lets see the BR and the parts you have. Hell I was showing mine all the time from the ground up. Post it, Dude. Lets get us a sticky

I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Hey, BR owners, I'm trying to get the GHOST to give us our own sticky about how we built our BR's, what parts we used, stocks, etc. pics included. I don't care how long ago you finished your project, please post it on this thread. I'd love to see our own sticky and not buried in the "Carbine picture" thread.
Ours are special. We took a chance through e-store for the most part, some of us got lucky and hand picked ours. What ever, if you got a BR and built it up or ARE building it ... post HERE. We have a lot of stories to tell how we did it. Don't forget pics.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 PM

OK, I'll bite.

I received two BR's from CMP.
National Postal Meter with IBM barrel (I suspect original.)
Inland with Inland barrel (seems correct.)

The NPM had rear sights already installed. Bore was in great shape. Only reason I could see for the "Salvage" grade was minor rust and pitting. Cleaned most of it off with Flitz and 0000 steel wool.

The Inland was another story. Tag said "Barrel Ring", and they weren't kidding. The barrel was visibly bulged near the muzzle.

I had two stocks from a fellow forum member, they were both cracked, so they were part of my rescue project also, but for $5 a piece, I couldn't go wrong on the stocks! One walnut; one birch.

I tackled the NPM first.
I purchased a complete NPM trigger group, bolt, and slide from Wareagle on this forum, and a barrel band from a local smith. Front sight, key and pin came from another forum member.
Put it all together, and installed it in the walnut stock I had repaired in the meantime while waiting for parts to arrive. Used Gorilla Glue to get the stock back into shape.
(Handguard came from Reese Surplus, nice-looking 2-Rivet walnut.)
Here it is all ready to go:

As received:

Stock had seen better days:

Me at the range......she's a nice little shooter.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Well I will post some pictures later. But I received two saginaws, regular sg's. I traded one of those, actually the nicer one, for an IBM. I had Inland and Quality slides, tried trading, ended up buying a AOB slide. I had two austrian marked trigger housing's and sold those. I have an Inland bolt, ordered a SB round bolt, and a sg flat. Traded for a sg trigger. I put a type 2 repo barrel band on the sg, and replacement ria front sight. The stocks I have are a "J" marked stock, which I understand to be a WW2 replacement stock and a SA stock, so I am going with the replacement stock theme. The sg has a saginaw barrel, no date. The Ibm has a Ibm barrel, no date. Pictures to follow.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM

I hope we have more barreled receivers being built up than this. Sure some are still getting the parts together and such.

I would really like to see what they turned out like. Accuracy reports included if possible. Mine shoots like a dream. A barrel that guages near new doesn't hurt, but some other factors involved.

What I have learned from some investigation, is that reducing the trigger pull by replacing the trigger spring really improves the accuracy with the carbine. I go around gun shows searching for weak springs. Go figure....

I am always dismayed by the fact that no one has determined any real means of improving carbine accuracy at 100 yards.

Here is my weak attempt at investigating trigger pulls in the carbine. I wanted to make the trigger pull less on a particular rifle. Weighed in at almoist 9 lbs. Ouch. Went around and found one carbine that had a trigger pull of 5 lbs. Swapped the parts one by one to attempt to find source of lighter pull. Swapping the trigger spring alone reduced the pull to 6.2 lbs. The addition of a new hammer spring actually increased trigger pull weight. Rest of trigger pull was reduced by stoning contact points lightly. Just enough to remove park. Got it down to 5.5 lbs from 9.0 lbs.

Accuracy across the board was improved. Score improvement at next match was 25 points.

I know I throw random stuff sometimes....
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Here's some pictures, come on guys post your photos. We need something to compete with those Winchester SG's on the garand pages.
http://s1041.photobucket.com/albums/...trick2010/brs/
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 PM

I had the sg put together, took it apart to make it more sg, LOL what we won't do. It's all for fun, so what the heck. So the weaker springs are better for accuracy, or the other way around?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Here is my QHMC barreled receiver in a repro M1A1 stock. The stock metal has been parked, and correct leather and rivets installed. Initially I put mostly mixmaster parts in it to get it shooting, but have since made it 95% QHMC correct parts except for the type IV mag catch, to better support 30 rd mags, and the barrel band is also a cut down type III. Future plans call for putting it in a Q-RMC stock (when I find one), and if I ever can find a late Inland b/r I will put that in the M1A1 stock.