Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryPatrick View Post
I had the sg put together, took it apart to make it more sg, LOL what we won't do. It's all for fun, so what the heck. So the weaker springs are better for accuracy, or the other way around?

Be careful with "weaker" springs. Needless to say you sure don't want a weaker recoil spring. A weaker trigger spring is OK but I have my doubts about the hammer spring being weaker. Don't think I'd go that route. Keep in mine the recoil AND hammer springs are both part of the cycle speed on the whole system.
Think I'd stay stock with every spring except the trigger spring.
IMHO.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.2009 View Post
Be careful with "weaker" springs. Needless to say you sure don't want a weaker recoil spring. A weaker trigger spring is OK but I have my doubts about the hammer spring being weaker. Don't think I'd go that route. Keep in mine the recoil AND hammer springs are both part of the cycle speed on the whole system.
Think I'd stay stock with every spring except the trigger spring.
IMHO.
Absolutely correct. Recoil and hammer springs are NOS USGI from Orion 7. I was only speaking of the trigger spring. It is responsible for the majority of the trigger pull weight that is capable of being changed. You can hit your target much easier with a lower pull weight.

Most of my 20+ USGI carbines had a trigger pull weight in the 7.0 lb range. Getting them down to 5.0 - 5.5 lbs. is an enormous difference. Also, stoning the contact points of the sear and hammer, the side of the TH where the trigger moves....this removes the creep and provides for a smooth trigger pull. The sum is much better groups indeed.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 AM

I check this thread often and enjoy the pictures so I will try to participate. I will be challenged to post pictures when the time comes. I have eight barreled receivers. Eight should be enough but I find myself wishing I had purchased more. I received four by "luck of the draw". Two Standard Products and two Inlands. I was hoping for a S'G' because I was born in Grand Rapids and still live in West Michigan. I was close to Camp Perry so I stopped in and almost all the barreled receivers were S'G'. I bought three and an Underwood. (I also bought a great SG SA Garand that is correct except for the safety, cylinder lock plug and front sight.) I am busy purchasing parts for the barreled receivers. That's a lot of parts! I am not concerned about everything being correct. I am more concerned about what these carbines look like when they are finished. I don't plan on selling them. I hope my son, son-in-laws and grandsons enjoy them as much as I do. Some people like to collect rifles that are correct and that's OK. Some people like to collect rifles that hold tight groups and that's OK too. I am more interested in the history of military rifles and the men who carried them. When I was a kid my father and almost all of my friends fathers were WWII veterans. The quote goes something like "ordinary men who did extraordinary things". I have so much respect for that generation that I enjoy preserving that piece of history. I will try to post information and pictures of my progress. B-3-6
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM

B-3-6, go to the "How To" forum and it will walk you through the pic posting deal.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

Reserving a spot for my SG and Standard Products Carbines when they are complete. I will try to get some build process pics up as well.

Andy
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Spot reserved. Start the pics and info.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 AM

Winchester and Inland. This is what they looked like when they came.

Completed the Inland with an NPM trigger housing I had lying around (mixed internal parts, mainly Inland). Used an Inland type 4 slide and round OI bolt. Stock is an Underwood stock that came with a service grade carbine I got a couple years ago, for which I had the right stock so had this one lying around. Replaced the barrel band ($15), since the one that came on the BR had stripped threads. Also bought a USGI oiler ($13). Had the sling already. Had the Ultimak mount and Nikon scope. (Which I don't recommend -- a Leupold scout scope is much better.)

For the Winchester, bought an RIA front sight, key and pin, total $38, and a USGI oiler ($13). Had all the other parts lying around (SG trigger housing completed with mainly Inland and Underwood parts, Inland type 4 slide, postwar U round bolt, type 3 barrel band, I.R. Co. rear sight. The repro paratrooper stock is one I got from Sportsman's guide a few years ago and was not using.

These are the completed carbines:

Both headspaced, close on go gauge and will not close on no-go gauge. Both are totally reliable and shoot well.

So completing these did not cost much. Except that after doing it I spent about $200 replenishing my spare parts supply. (mainly for a spare bolt, front sight and trigger housing parts.)
Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 AM

I just finished my Inland BR from parts, cost about $500.00 total. I had a lot of fun with my first build from scratch. (and probably my last, with the price of B/Rs going through the roof.) Lets see those BR photos!

Apex Gun Parts Complete Trigger Group $90.00
Carbine Slide - Copes Distributing $39.00
Bolt Complete - CMP Member $60.00
BR CMP $$125.00
Carbine Stock Ebay $29.00
Misc Small Parts - Fulton Armory $45.00
Handguard and metal - What-a-Country $47.00
Rear sight - Front Sight - Recoil Plate - CMP Mozzer $67.00

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5106959_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5240351_n.jpg
Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.2009 View Post
Spot reserved. Start the pics and info.

Haha, give me time! Trying to juggle a 4.0, Freshman Midterms and Carbine addiction is not easy! I assembled my Apex TG today. Pics (hopefully) by Sunday of the build process. Still waiting on my stock to get here from home in AZ.

Andy
Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Haha, give me time! Trying to juggle a 4.0, Freshman Midterms and Carbine addiction is not easy! I assembled my Apex TG today. Pics (hopefully) by Sunday of the build process. Still waiting on my stock to get here from home in AZ.

Andy
HEY, what's more important, bringing these little carbines back to life or getting an ED-U-CA-TION?
Put them books down and start building that carbine.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA