Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2016, 10:19 PM

Some more M44 pics:
DSC_4524
DSC_4530
DSC_4529
DSC_4528
A bit of water damage on the heel, still haven't found a way to address these spots on stocks.
JH
Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Just put 6 coats of RLO on my new CMP wood after stripping off a previous attempt with Tru-Oil that I didn't like the results. Tru-Oil may be very durable, but the built up finish is too shiny for my taste.
RLO Finish looks good, but is quite delicate even after a few days of drying at room temp. It lifts off with painter's tape where I was masking the front handguard ferrule when installing the liner. So, I just applied a dab more and rubbed in.
How long does it take for the finish to "set up" properly?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 PM

TruOil is pretty shiny. You can knock that down with some wet sanding (400+ grit), 00000 steel wool or a scotchbrite.

An oil finish shouldn't have anything to lift off. Wipe on the oil, let it sit 30-60 min, then wipe dry. I like to check and wipe again after another hour or three.
Repeat every day until you feel it is done (whatever sheen you are after). After the last application you should be able to handle it in a few days.
JH
Old 03-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Would it be a bad thing to use full strength, uncut Purple Power?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM

I've use full strength, never hurt a stock
Old 03-01-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Junk Operator View Post
Would it be a bad thing to use full strength, uncut Purple Power?
No, and I have used full strength. I still prefer to cut it with water, spray on until it's dripping and let it soak a few minutes (let the chemicals do the work) then wipe or scrub and wipe clean. So if it takes me 2-3 sessions of spray-sit-scrub-rinse instead of 1-2 I don't feel like I wasted time, just being cautious.
I have and use PP, but honestly the dollar store knock offs (also the citrus kitchen cleaners) work just as good, and are already watered down.
Sure, some may take 1-2 more sessions, but you never know if "stronger" would have made any difference.
Bottom line, these are water based degreasers, so a great, mild way to start degreasing. There is water already in them.....

JH