Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 PM

Here's my 1st and last M1D. After years of looking at the North Store during Nationals....finally took the MAIL ORDER PLUNGE based solely on recent store reports and a few posts here. No sticky or special request. Crazy right? Well, the CMP delivered on this one. WOW!

782XXX, 52 barrel, MW 0, TE 3, SA RA Open Box Stock with cheek pad holes, Uncut -9 op rod, -16 trigger housing.

Distinguished Rifleman #2349

Last edited by Stony; 01-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 PM

I bought this field grade M1C from the south store back in early 2012 but never got around to getting the accessories until recently. Finally done! Except for a sling I guess.

Came with a 3-45 barrel and an unnumbered bracket. The staking doesn't look like the standard pre hardened receiver staking but doesn't look like the typical cut receiver staking followed up with screw staking. Maybe this is the sort of work Col B is speculating on, possibly receiver staking on a hardened receiver. Looks to me like the same cut/stake into both the screw and receiver at the same time and not separate processes. Whatever it is, you can see at some point someone tried to remove the bracket but messed up a hex head in the process and then gave up.

I got the M82 scope, blued numbered mount, and K-Line cheekpad from ebay. The leather string is new. SA M2 flash hider is from Westland.

Added lockbar sights to get the look right. The stock it came with had a grenade disc attached, so I swapped it out for a NFR rebuild stock from Dupage. Funny thing is when I took that stock off, I saw it had bedding work done, then noticed it had numbers written in the barrel channel. So yep, NM stock with a grenade disc was sitting on a M1C! I suppose I coulda kept that stock on and dressed it up with a grenade launcher attachment and a NM hooded sight

Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 PM

Zaugau, that staking is exactly the type I am referring to. I have a 3370XXX that is just like that. The base on mine is also unmarked. The latest I have observed with the "soft" round staking is 3349XXX the earliest indications I have seen of this "cut" staking scheme is 3351XXX. The block of 344 serials looks large, the 335 not so much. Some have reasoned that the low serials didn't require base serials as they were "permanently" installed by G&H. So, by that logic, this type of staking should have a base serial on it.
Logic would tell you that G&H started numbering bases on hardened bases as they received them, even if not in order, and they should have been able to discern a hardened receiver. You would think that the Army would have instituted the change starting with a batch. But, the Army may not have realized early in the change that bases needed to be serialized till later. Maybe the serialized bases were warped or damaged in the heat treat and had to be replaced. But, all conjecture. If your rifle ever had any other type staking, I'd be real surprised as hiding the evidence of it was a real feat! Send me your serial number, or first four or five if you don't mind.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Col b, thanks for the info. Mine is 3370350, so really close to yours. Nice to get a little bit of data collected on this staking to look for trends. What's the barrel date on yours?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 PM

3/42.....BTW, there is a consecutive one to yours out there. Mine is 3370542

Last edited by col b; 02-13-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Default M1d

Here is a pic of my M1D with all the accessories that I picked up from the North Store about 7 years ago. Note the lead dipped receiver. The USGI scope mount and flash hider I purchased new in wrap from Westland. The USGI scope and cheek pad are in nearly mint condition and were purchased from a vendor in the Netherlands. The sling is a nice reproduction.

Link to slide show.
http://s79.photobucket.com/user/Bullsquid/slideshow/M1D

Last edited by Bullsquid1; 02-17-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Here is the WRA M1D service grade I received yesterday. 2-52 barrel reading 0+ ME and 2+ TE, parts are various vintage SA.

2 Receiver proof marks

Serif and sans serif circled Ps on the grip.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM

SG Winchester M1D from March 2017 release.

Tooele rebuild, solid SA open box stock, really in fantastic shape over all.

Last edited by courtjester801; 03-28-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Question about stamped stock - K on the bottom of grip.

Received my M1D Winchester last Monday 3/27/17.
# 1307XXX

Can anyone tell me what a K stamped on the bottom of my grip means. It also has what looks like a smaller X on the bottom of the grip. I'll see if I can get a picture posted soon.

Circle P (sans serif) on front of grip
Stock is cleaning up nicely. Pure TO about 6 coats now.
Barrel date 10-52
ME2 TE3
No pitting or rust at all. Green looking finish on the receiver looks nice.
Clear distinct roll marks.

My front handguard has some type of flat black stain on it.

Last edited by Moe1a; 04-09-2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add 4 new pictures
Old 04-01-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what a K stamped on the bottom of my grip means. It also has what looks like a smaller X on the bottom of the grip
My observation is the K is probably from the Greek letter Kappa, and the "X" on the bottom of the pistol grip is very common with Greek return M1D sniper rifles. (I have also seen the Lamda symbol and other Greek letters in that same area. Probably a unit # or rack #/inventory # leftover from the Greek military service. They will often also have 4 digits also stamped on the side of the buttstock. Hope that info helps.