Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Hunter01
I responded to a similar query back in May, and got a lot of crap from a bunch of so called 'experts' on this forum, but I will try to answer your question and probably receive the same bunch of crap from the 'experts'. But that's OK, they aren't very smart..they just like to repeat stuff they have heard and never bother to try anything new.
[B]Yes you can get much better accuracy from HXP [/B]by pulling bullets and substituting them with better projectiles from Nosler, Sierra, Hornaday and others.
Do not mix apples and oranges. If you pull a HXP bullet, replace it with another commercial bullet of the same weight (150 to 155 grains).
OK, here we go. First weigh your loaded HXP and cull out any that don't fall between 396 and 400 grains.
From these rounds, pull the FMJ projectile. A Kinetic bullet puller works best as you don't have any marks on the pulled bullet. Keep the original powder charge in the HXP case.
Don't bother to resize the neck or clean the asphaltum from the inside of the case unless you plan to shoot enbloc clips. Remember we are talking about accuracy here, not plinking. If you shoot Service Rifle then you may want to re-think this. All accuracy shooting (in my M1) is done with single loading, so there is not a problem with bullets moving due to recoil.
Seat the appropriate bullet of your choice (from 150 to 155 grains) and go shooting. You will see much improved accuracy out to 500 meters and beyond.
This was my standard proceedure for producing match loads on the cheap in the not too distant past. With cheap ($0.26 per round) surplus now being gone, I have decided to hang onto my HXP and shoot it sparingly. 47.0 grains of H4895 with a 155 Nosler shoots almost as good
Old 11-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for your info. I have a personel load with varget that has out grouped every thing else I've tried Including 4895 ( Big fan of 4895 myself) The close second was 748. The xhp stuff is still being worked up I shot some with 168 Sierra's that cut the HXP stuff groups in half. I now hav esome 150 gr. FMJ Hornady that I plan to try next. I have reloaded for thiry years and work my loads very carefully. Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
RayBrandes

Hunter,
I have a lot of HXP. I shoot it in JCG matches and 100 yard reduced matches. I also provide it to friends I take to a match for the first time.
The fired brass is reloaded with match grade components. I treat all mil-surplus ammo this way. Making 'Mexican Match' ammo never appealed to me. There are a lot of ways to burn your HXP just the way it is.

Regards, Ray
Old 11-21-2009, 07:57 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBrandes View Post
Hunter,
I have a lot of HXP. I shoot it in JCG matches and 100 yard reduced matches. I also provide it to friends I take to a match for the first time.
The fired brass is reloaded with match grade components. I treat all mil-surplus ammo this way. Making 'Mexican Match' ammo never appealed to me. There are a lot of ways to burn your HXP just the way it is.

Regards, Ray
Hundred yard matches may be fine but where I shoot matches we shoot twoo hundred. IF you shot a perfect site group with the stuff I've tested you would have several out of the ten ring. If you hunt with it a well aimed heart shot may hit or miss or just maim. I respect your opinion. I just doing some safe level experimentation.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Shot some today with FMJ 150's Hornady bullets 100 yds 2.5 " using original powder at 52 grains big improvement over the regular Greek stuff with 4 to 5" groups.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 PM

personally I do not like pulled bullets,They are military And all they care about is that it goes bang.My Father in Law works for OLIN (winchester) He can get 1 heck of a discount once a year on components. I wont use winchester .223 they are way too inconsistent for me.I rather pay extra for the Hornady .223 FMJBT, I have much much better results.
the upside to pulled bullets is there are cheaper
And every rifle will have a different sweet spot. Try different brands until your rifle lets you know which it Prefers
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM

Let me add my .02 here regarding the earlier conversation about all the ammo from one can being the same lot. This is DEFINITELY NOT necessarily the case. I have opened cans and found two different lot numbers on the bandoleers, and even found some US AP ammo in bandoleers in the HXP cans. So, there is no guarantee that the ammo from any particular can is all the same lot. My advice is shoot up the HXP and reload with match components if that is what you are trying to do ultimately.