Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Varget still taboo?

Have decided it is time to reload all of My 7.62x51 LC & 7.62x63 HXP Brass. I inherited My Dad's maual's and equipment. I bought 5# or 6# of Varget during the Obama years, as well as CCI Large Rifle Primers and some bulk 150gr. FMJ slugs. I'm really looking to come up with several hundred plinking ammo for casual range sessions. I have been full length resizing, cutting to 2.484 trim length and doing primer pockets unifrom to just under .1320 SAAMI, my Primers are seating just below flush. Looking for mid-range velocity based on the Service Rifle Specs in My Manual: Hornady 5th Edition.

In doing this I have become aware of the Zedinker M14 articles and the collective's debate on Varget in M14 & M1, however, alot of that debate seems old, out dated and more geared toward heavier slugs for long range. I'm wondering where the current school of thought is. I'm going to shoot these out of James River Armory 19.5" Barrel M14 & CMP Service Grade M1.

I'm leaning toward using the Varget for M1 and getting H4895 for the M14. I'd probably end up going with H4895 going forward for both after I use up the Varget.

Anyway, open to thoughts & suggestions, thanks.

Last edited by BubbaTheKid; 10-16-2018 at 11:11 AM.