Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Unless someone can demonstrate measurable density variations in brass: weighing the cases will give a direct correlation with internal volume. Of course it's not quite that simple. If you want to go the tedious route with volumetric measurements using powder or water you will need to observe a few precautions. The cases need to be sized and trimmed exactly the same, powder needs to be settled, air bubbles removed, etc. Easier to just weigh cases-and of course 30-06 mil case weights are right in line with most commercial brass. Additionally, case weight variations are of minor importance with moderate loads that don't fill the case which includes most M2 level loads. Good Shooting.....

Last edited by ceresco; 01-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM

I get better results with a bit less IMR4895. I use 47.0 gr behind a 155 gr Nosler CC in HXP cases for my M1s and 47.5 gr for my 03a3s. These are chronographed at 2720 - 2740 FPS. Spot on.

The higher amounts of powder make the bolt sticky in my 03s which is indicative of an overcharged load.

Point is....you've got to go out there and develop a load. Just taking someone's start is OK, but generally superior accuracy can be acheived by employing a bit more scientific measures into the development. A chronograph makes a world of difference. You know when you are way off, either too low or high.

46.0 gr IMR4895 is spot on for a 168 SMK or Nosler CC BTHP in HXP cases.