Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Default 853 front sight

Hello all,

A few months ago I picked up an 853 at the North store for my daughter. At 4 years old, I've set her up with rifle rest and a board with balloons to give her something visual to have fun with while I teach safe handling. However, I digress. Daddy has really fallen for the rifle too and has it sighted in pretty well and am looking forward to competing in the sporter air rifle program on Nov 3.

That said, I'm looking at all the front sight circles. What is the purpose of them? When looking at an air rifle target, is it the goal to see the black target then a little ring of white then the circle of the front sight then a little more white then the rear peep sight - concentric circles? Are the different front sights picked on personal preference of where you rest your head on the stock and the placement of the rear peep sight?

Thank you in advance for the answers,
Al

Last edited by ajz1966; 09-25-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Practice;

I'm inclined to use the single post front sight. But, I have been experimenting with others. I'm getting familiar with the small circular front sight post. I think it's just what you practice with and what works. Lighting makes a differenc too. Outside in the sun I like the single post still.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieEcho View Post
I'm inclined to use the single post front sight. But, I have been experimenting with others. I'm getting familiar with the small circular front sight post. I think it's just what you practice with and what works. Lighting makes a differenc too. Outside in the sun I like the single post still.
I read the instructions and each circle insert is something like 1/100th bigger than the last but I see no difference with them. That, actually is the main question I have, what is each different size for?

I have not tried the post but I tend to prefer them being raised on iron sights though I find the circle peeps work well on these airguns when combined with the little airgun targets. However, on a larger target where the black is bigger than the front peep hole, one would absolutely have to to switch to the post as the front sight circle is nearly indistinguishable from the black of the target. Now, in contrast, the rear peep on an AR I find took some getting used to. Ok for slow target shooting but terrible for fast target acquisition - at least for me; however, that is off topic.

I also read online that the eye is supposed to naturally align concentric circles.

I'll try a circle front at the Nov. 3rd match and see how I do.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:33 PM

What I was taught was to select the front sight insert based on the diameter of the aperture vs the target in this way. As you hold on the target, you want to keep the target INSIDE the aperture most of the time. If you are wobbly (like me) then you use a larger aperture, as your hold gets more steady and you wobble less, you can drop down to a smaller aperture. But you want the white around the bull to be about half the diameter of the black bull. So don't go down to a THIN border of white.

So lay the inserts one on top of the other and carefully look at them to determine the relative sizes of the aperture, and start with the largest size.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:24 AM

Front apertures (little circles) are used with most small bore and air rifle precision target shooting because they are more accurate. The selection of the correct/preferred aperture depend on course of fire, skill level, lighting, and personal preference.

Course of fire - what distance are you shooting and what is the size of the standard target bulls-eye.

Skill level - how steady can you hold in each position, the steadier the hold the smaller front aperture you can use.

Lighting - the light level controls the depth of field your vision has which in turn determines the sharpness of objects at different distances which effects your sight picture and the aperture you choose. Note they also make other apertures including different sizes, colored plastic with holes, clear plastic with printed rings, etc. In addition they sell different sized rear sight apertures and even adjustable iris ones that are infinitely adjustable. These are available from places that cater to competitive target shooters such as Champions Choice, Champion Shooters Supply, and gunsmiths suppliers such as Brownells. Be sure to check the rule books for your discipline because some items such as magnifying apertures and spirit levels are not legal in some competitions.

Personal preference - try different ones to see what works best and as you improve you may need to change but your coach should be able to help with selection.

Blacksmith