Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Default reloading pulled down surplus

I pulled surplus Greek ammo tonight weights were all ove rhte board on every component. So I was thing of reloading it using the same powder and my bullets. The difference being powder being same in all cases and Sierra match bullets. Problem 1 My bullets are 168's wonder if I can use the same powder charge ( most like Not) But wonder if there is a conversion for powder weight to Bullet ratio. I am setting here convincing my self to go buy some 150 sierras. Anyone have a comment?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM

There is no "conversion chart" for Greek HXP ammo that I am aware of. For one thing, over the decades they made ammo, they used both ball and stick powders and diffeent lots of each. Each lot would have a different burning rate. So, no one universal conversion factor is possible.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 AM

No way can you use the charge from a cartridge loaded with a 150g bullet to push a 168g bullet. You're asking for nothing but trouble.

Throw the powder away and use a known powder to reload the cartridge.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 AM

If the ammo you pulled is all from the same lot, start 10% below the 150gr powder charge and work up looking for signs of excess pressure. Also, an adjustable gas plug might be a good investment.

If the ammo was from different lots and mixed together, fertilize the garden/lawn with it. Commercial ammo is loaded with what's called 'canister powder'. It's not like what you buy retail that has a set burn rate. They determine the burn rate for each canister lot and load it accordingly, so if you mixed lots, you have no idea what the burn rate is and there for no idea what the charge should be. Also, the burn rate will vary because of uneven distributions of powders throughout the mix.

Last edited by buyobuyo; 11-04-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Would all the ammo from One spam can be the same lot ?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM

If I pulled each round and just subsatuited a new 150 gr. bullet with a consitant lowest powder charge so they would all be the same amout of powder what do you think. For example the ranged 52 to 53 grains if I lowered to all at 52 from the same cartage is should be fine should it not?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM

IF they all came from the same spam can they SHOULD be the same lot.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM

If it all came from the same spam can, it is the same lot. As long the lot on the can is the same than lots are the same and you could mix that powder, but if the lot listed on the can is different don't mix it with powder from a different can.

Yes, you could substitute a 150gr bullet of more consistent weight for the pulled bullets. I drop charge weight 5-10% and work back up to 53gr to find the most accurate load.

Why did you pull down the rounds anyways? You could have just shot it as is and then start working loads with your bullet/powder of choice without this headache.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM

I am trying pulling it down to see if I can get a load good enought to shoot in my local matches. I have a load worked up that is VERY good. But I have two cans of this sh*t that won't be of any use for the matchs. I don't want to sell it I want the brass and clips. So the next idea was to improve it as I can. Money is always an issue in this hobby.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Shoot it and be done with it.