Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Default New Manufactured Rock-Olas?

James River Armory is advertising newly manufactured Rock-Ola carbines, and receivers. Has anybody seen one of these in person? They are pricey, $1195.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger71973 View Post
James River Armory is advertising newly manufactured Rock-Ola carbines, and receivers. Has anybody seen one of these in person? They are pricey, $1195.
I don't know who owns the Rock-Ola name, but for James River Armory to use it is, IMHBCO, tacky.

At least in the picture of the receiver on their website, it is obviously not a Rock-Ola by the serial number (13). However, I don't know how they plan to mark others.

Does anyone know what it says at the top of the receiver? Does it match the USGI markings, or is it obviously different.

"Life is Good!"
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM

It sounds like a new receiver is being made and labeled as a Rock-ola?
I think this new 30 carbine is just a clone. And should be labeled as James river armory. To call it a Rock-ola is just an attempt to get more money?
So James river is putting profits ahead of the history of the 30 carbine. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Medic!; 08-01-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 AM

Willing to bet that they sidestepped copyright infringement by removing the hyphen.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM

Why choose Rock-Ola? I would think Mr. Rock-Ola had use of the name. If I was going to make receivers with WWII stamps, I would make UN-Q and IP receivers. How about CCC receivers. And 13 would be a good number for one of them. There are still a lot of real Rock-Ola receivers out there. Why bother?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Im not sure who is making these.

IMO they are cheesy and out of line or unprofessional.

I like the way Fulton Armory raw receiver are labeled better. AND they are made by LMT lewis machine and tool.

I wonder if LMT is making these Rock-ola ones?

Fulton has lowered their prices on their receivers and barreled receivers back down to pre Sandy hook. I would just buy a barreled receiver and make your own rifle with surplus parts
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger71973 View Post
They have them on display on Commercial Row. NM special of $299 (I think) for bare receivers. They also had B/R with bolt, using Criterion barrels, but I don't recall the price. I think their Perry stock started at serial #80. It was wierd seeing a 2 digit ROCKOLA. They looked nice and are advertised as forged, mil-spec, not cast. Fulton's are similarly nice and similarly priced, but they don't use a vintage roll mark.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM

I spoke to the James River guys at the NRA show in Houston a couple months ago and they told me they had bought the Rock-ola name and were going to start producing Carbines with that name. We had a lengthy discussion about reproductions being made to look real and their affect on the market. If he missed my disdain, he was blind. He assured me they would be marked as non-original manufacturer. However he did seem to feel that this was a REAL Rock-ola and that made me nervous.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to MajWatz

Just tried to enter James River Armory.....

A. Rockola M1 Carbine - James River Armory
www.jamesriverarmory.com › World War II Firearms
Rebirth of An American Classic. This new MI Carbine weapon hasn't been made this way since 1945.

and here is what I got......

This website is temporarily unavailable.
If you are the owner of the site, please contact the webmaster.
Senior Member (1572) of old CMP forum since 31 JUL 2006
M1CC - Member No: 239
GCA - Member No: 12919

NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, ROA Life Member, AUSA Life Member, MOAA Life Member, American Legion
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/Range Safety Officer
Texas CHL/LTC
Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Wow, this is just ethically wrong. I don't care if they bought the Rock-Ola name. It sounds like they are trying to push off their new carbines as the rebirth of the Rock-Ola carbine today. Except, they are not made by Rock-Ola! Very sad... Now we will have to start watching for these things as they start showing up in USGI stocks...