Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlammers View Post
What would you guys consider a fair price for Garand Spec ammo. I can get it manufactured in any number of configurations, from M2 to Match loads, to hunting loads.

I was thinking of offering a 150 FMJ, 150SP, and 168AMAX or something along those lines. I know this will cost more than surplus, but it will be brand new ammo, made for the Garand gas system. I want to make this good for all of us, and keep good ammo going out for Garands so we can keep them running.
Id say for 150 FMJ (the commercial M1 Garand equivalent of M2 ball), Id say no more than $125 per case of 200. This would be for training/routine target practice ammo, to learn to shoot your M1. Ammo that is $150 and up per case of 200, personally Id just prefer to buy from Federal and get their Federal Eagle M1 load. Because Federal is a major ammo manufacturer, are American made, well known, etc. Break their price significantly and if I was confident your ammo was high quality, Id buy M1 ammo from you hypothetically at some point in the future.

So, if you want to compete with Federal Eagle for 150 FMJ, keep it cheap but quality. If thats possible in this day and age.

Eric
Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyCompany View Post
Imagine, still building rifles in 30-06..... try to find a modern rifle NOT offered in that caliber.
Yeah, 30-06' is a good caliber. No doubt about it. Good, all around, All American rifle cartridge. Still widely used in hunting, not widely used (if at all?) in military's around the world. Instead they went to that flat shooting, lightweight, but puny 5.56/.223.

Eric
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi71ocean View Post
Don't forget that there are several arms mfg's that make it, Prvi Partizan still makes M2 Ball ammo, and there are several countries that still use 30-06.

Yeah I know Federal and Hornady make Garand specific 30-06. As far as Prvi Partizan, I was the guy on this forum who first introduced the idea of shooting Prvi out of M1 Garands about a month or so back. Got the idea from a local gunstore. I was initially excited about the idea, posted it on the old CMP forum.

But after several guys investigated Prvi stuff, it was found its not true M1 specific fodder, ie; not true M2 ball. Im not comfortable shooting it out of my Garand without a gas plug and Im not crazy about using a gas plug in my Garand Special.

I wouldnt mind seeing Prvi manufacture a true, M1 Garand specific load, however.

Eric
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up Keep the old lady hummin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
And those of you saying I was crazy to get a .308 barrel from my Garand, I say HA!
(Yes, there's no 7.62 NATO surplus.......yet........but it'll get out there eventually.)

Mike D
I'd say your were wise! When my -06 barrel wears out, it getting converted to .308.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:20 PM

The ammo is from well known ammo makers, that supply many LE agencies and at Fed, state and local levels. I am submitting a rifle for a govt bid that will be using their ammo for the entire trial. They will custom load for me and have worked out the garand ammo specs for me already. I will not get to your price point, but I can get close. The ammo is all USA made and will be as accurate as match ammo and close to plinking ammo price. I think that in todays market, finding new USA MFG 30-06 ammo for 12.50 a box of 20 is a bit of a stretch. I have no doubt I will be under the lowest I have seen the federal for ($20) a box by a long shot. The price I have in mind was closer to 18-20 a box or $180 to $200 a case of 200rds. I can get the ammo with 3 bullets currently, the 168Amax, 150gr FMJ, and 150grSP. The ball would be $18, the AMAX $20 and the SP $18.50. I can also get the 165grSP if the interest is there. The ammo is not reloads, or reman ammo but is new ammo made specifically to be shot in a Garand Gas system. The ammo will drop ship direct from the factory to your door, packed in 20 round boxes. Again, guys the prices are about the best I can do for retail sales. Please shoot me a PM or email if you are interested.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The ammo is from well known ammo makers, that supply many LE agencies and at Fed, state and local levels. I am submitting a rifle for a govt bid that will be using their ammo for the entire trial. They will custom load for me and have worked out the garand ammo specs for me already. I will not get to your price point, but I can get close. The ammo is all USA made and will be as accurate as match ammo and close to plinking ammo price. I think that in todays market, finding new USA MFG 30-06 ammo for 12.50 a box of 20 is a bit of a stretch. I have no doubt I will be under the lowest I have seen the federal for ($20) a box by a long shot. The price I have in mind was closer to 18-20 a box or $180 to $200 a case of 200rds. I can get the ammo with 3 bullets currently, the 168Amax, 150gr FMJ, and 150grSP. The ball would be $18, the AMAX $20 and the SP $18.50. I can also get the 165grSP if the interest is there. The ammo is not reloads, or reman ammo but is new ammo made specifically to be shot in a Garand Gas system. The ammo will drop ship direct from the factory to your door, packed in 20 round boxes. Again, guys the prices are about the best I can do for retail sales. Please shoot me a PM or email if you are interested.
if you could get between 14.50-and 15 a box for a battle pack of some sorts ide go for that. the reaosn i pick the 500 round box of Prvi-Partizan is because the price break is .73c a round, which is the best i can do, especially since this state everything over 80c i find is to expensive to shoot, mind you i also shoot 100-160 rounds a clip at the range with my Garand. My M1A is a different story...
Old 11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

I built two Italian Typo 2 7.62x51 Garand conversions ( on CMP recievers ) and stacked lots of very good 7.62 ammo deep for around $150 a K.
That was just before the batch of 60 million (?) rounds of Greek arrived.
The batch that nobody believed would ever show up. CMP says they are digging a new well for Greek.

Read about the SecDef's vist to Korea?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 PM

EastCompany well put and rep sent!!

We often take things for granted and generally hate those more fortunate than us. I'm just gratefull to have found out about the CMP about 1-1/2 years ago. I was buying $.75-$1 a round for 30-06. I didn't own my first garand until 2 years ago. Shortly there after I found the CMP and bought my 2nd M1 from them. Yes my 2nd M1 was less than the first and nicer too. Both are SA-SG quality My first is a 1942 and the 2nd a 1954. Both have ME = 1. But the 1942 is my pride and joy.

Anyway I'm greatfull for those that served and proud to be an owner of a rifle that many died holding in their arms defending this country.

I'll be at the local VFW wednesday with my father and some of his WWII friends paying my respects.

Cheers guys/CMP!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds good and I appreciate your desire to manufacture M1 Garand specific 30-06', I really do. However, I just bought a case of Federal Eagle M1 specific 30-06' for $187, including shipping and handling. So thats in the price range youre aiming for. No real advantage there.

Where you might get an advantage over the Federal Eagle M1 stuff could include the following:

1) get cheaper than 180 per 200 round case, like dirt cheap Prvi Partizan cheap; 2) manufacture the stuff to genuine mil spec, "surplus" style, steel core FMJ. The kind that will punch thru steel helmets and trees, like the Greek HXP stuff that CMP was selling or Lake City stuff. The steel core might attract some guys who like to shoot M1s. Because neither the current Hornady, nor the Federal Eagle commercial are steel core, they are FMJ but not steel core.

Another thing I can think of that might give you an advantage would be to sell the rounds already loaded into new en bloc clips. I could see that giving you some edge on the other two commercial M1 ammo manufacturers.

Just stuff I could think of...

I applaud your entrepreneur efforts BTW.

Eric
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 AM

Looks like we do have a nice alternative in the works... well done!