Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Default 853 Repairs by CMP?

Will CMP repair an 853 air rifle? I bought one recently, and it will not hold air pressure.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:18 PM

Default Daisy 853 repair

Howdy. I see that you are in KY. There are lots of us here with those rifles. My 4H shooters bought 3 dozen of them a few years ago. I got pretty good at resealing and trigger work on them. Daisy sells kits for resealing them at a very reasonable cost. You can get it done for less than the cost of returning the rifle to the CMP. I also recommend replacing a couple of trigger parts for the next model up parts. Cost is almost nothing, and the trigger goes from horrible to just dandy. Still not a 2 ounce match trigger, but much more reasonable. If you are close to Louisville, I would be more than happy to help with your problems. Best of luck, and have a great day. DennyMac
Old 12-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks DennyMac.
I am in Beattyville, about 20 miles south of Natural Bridge and 2 1/2 hours from Louisville. I successfully repaired my compression seals, etc., and found some issues like a bent pump screw and lack of a spacer which I have repaired with parts from Daisy. I now shoot it in ACES postal matches.
I may attempt to contact you on the trigger parts later. I have found a couple of different guides on the web for a trigger job by modifying and smoothing existing parts, but would be interested in the upgraded parts I could buy that you have suggested. I will need to keep the pull at 1.5 or greater for competition. Thanks much. Mark
Old 12-01-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollms View Post
[...] I have found a couple of different guides on the web for a trigger job by modifying and smoothing existing parts, but would be interested in the upgraded parts I could buy that you have suggested. I will need to keep the pull at 1.5 or greater for competition. Thanks much. Mark
While the DIY 853 trigger mod is great (and shouldn't change the pull weight), I believe the ?887? trigger guard, for like two bucks directly from Daisy, already has a factory D&T hole just behind the guard (which is the only halfway-difficult part of the mod). I can double-check on the part # but IMO it's better than trying to D&T the guard yourself. Hope this helps,

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 12-01-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:26 AM

This article addresses it - he suggested parts for the 888 - thanks to both of you for this advice. http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/...?topic=39648.0

For mod #3, call Daisy Customer Support and order the following parts
888-3 Trigger Housing, already has the hole drilled for the adjustment screw
888-5 Trigger Assembly, already has the trigger parts shaped for you
888-18 Screw assortment, the trigger adjustment screw is in this kit (not needed if you use a 8-32 screw as mentioned below)
Old 12-02-2015, 05:44 PM

I can make it easy on you. I listed all the parts and cost from Daisey earlier this year in this thread post 23. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=49001 I'm fairly mechanical but for the price of the parts drilling the TG seems a waste of time.
Distinguished Rifleman #2227
President's Hundred