Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Default Reloading components sources

I'm toying with the notion of getting into reloading for the M1. I have plenty of questions, but to keep it simple for now here are my main two questions:

1) What are the best places to get bullets, powder, primers, etc.? I'm aware of Midway and Brownells, are there any others? Is there a good time of year to watch for sales on components?

2) In my research I've seen comments saying to cut the powder charge ~10% when using military brass as opposed to commercial brass. Is this only applicable when one is using a commercial load recipe in military brass?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Check this sticky on the reloading forum.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=122589

No need to reduce charges in .30/06 military brass, especially when loading for an M1. The recommended M1 loads are considerably lower (mid range) than maximum loads for bolt actions.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138

Last edited by sigman2; 01-02-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:41 PM

I would only consider loading if you have a pile of brass and plan on match or benchrest shooting. You can buy Privi or S&B ammo and it will shoot great right out of the box. Providing you have the equipment to reload, by the time you buy brass, primers, powder and bullets it will be cheaper to buy ammo unless your specifically trying to hone as much accuracy as possible.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 PM

I prefer to buy powder and primers locally, as the hazmat fees really put a dent in the savings of online pricing. shooters pro shop runs sales on bullets, and offers a ten percent discount for vets. If youwatch sales, it is not difficult to load match grade ammo for less than the price of bargain priced ammo.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
I prefer to buy powder and primers locally, as the hazmat fees really put a dent in the savings of online pricing. shooters pro shop runs sales on bullets, and offers a ten percent discount for vets. If youwatch sales, it is not difficult to load match grade ammo for less than the price of bargain priced ammo.
X 2. Shipping primer and powder makes it prohibitively expensive unless you are buying a large quantity. A local gun shop will have powder and primers. Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's has reasonable pricing if there is one near you.

Bullet projectiles don't have any shipping restrictions, other than simple weight. Midway appears to have decent projectile pricing and shipping isn't too expensive. $13 shipping for 500 projectiles to me.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 PM

I've been buying at the large gun show because of Haz-Mat fees and brass~bullets are heavy. Seems a lot of on-line sellers charge more S&H fees and ship in flat rate box. MidwayUSA gouges on shipping.

I get email sale notices from a number of large ammo/reloading sellers.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:15 PM

I would still get into reloading if you have the large ticket items already like a press and dies. You can shoot up some HXP or other brand like S&B or PPU and save the brass then get the components and you are in business.

Remember the Obama years? Some ammo was unobtainable at any price. Reloading isn’t just for $ savings or for match accuracy but is a more self sufficient way of feeding hungry rifles!

My feedback thread
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 AM

I have had success with 30 caliber bullets (for both carbine and Garand) from here:
http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullet...tml?caliber=35
Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 PM

Read a couple reloading books, then I would try and find someone who already reloads near you and see if you can use their stuff with them while you get your feet under you. I have met many people who’ve ended up not liking it after starting and sold all their stuff cheap. If you do not like to reload and you make it a chore, it’s never really worth the savings.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Reloading is a fun and fulfilling hobby in and of itself. Well worth the time to send your own ammo downrange and get results. Don't look at it as a way to save money, you'll likely shoot more and spending money on tooling, probably a wash cost wise vs. commercial ammo.

My favorite vendor is Graf and Sons. Also use Powder Valley, Midway, Midsouth and Natchez from time to time when buying larger quantities, especially bullets, for match shooting. Check out Midway during your birthday week, they give a pretty good discount.

Powder and primers I used to source locally until my local retailers went nuts with the pricing. I now buy from Recob shooters supply. They charge a flat $15 HAZMAT to deliver to a select few Midwestern states via Speedee delivery service.