Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2019, 08:15 AM

That clanged loudly when they walked. One thing I still love about my Dad: At times life got me down and I was down in the mouth, he absolutely insisted I get my sorry rump up. Over time, I got better at it and now, there's nothing life can throw at me that I won't get back up after being knocked down, unless it kills me outright. All because he'd boot you in the rear if you didn't get up.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwl018 View Post
Maybe a Barrett would be the better way to go for defeating 'thermal body armor'. Aside from Barrett making more ‘war babies’, it could easily be any of our small arms makers..… Alliant Techsystems, ArmaLite, Colt, Bushmaster Firearms Int, Caspian Arms Ltd, Detonics, Knights Armament Co, Land Warfare Resources Corp, Mossberg, Olympic Arms, Remington Arms, RND Manufacturing, Rock River Arms, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory Inc, STI International, Sturm Ruger, Textron Systems…among many others. U.S. Ordnance of Nevada is already busy with ˝ billion $$ defense orders for machine guns.
I think we (the U.S.) are already producing more small arms for export than we could ever need ourselves for a full mobilization. Especially given the amount of people we could possibly put in uniform. Sales to Sweden is partly what got our own Ronnie Barrett up and running back in the early 80’s.
Next closest to U.S. for arms production spending would be China at about 1/8th what we spend. Considering that out of the worlds top 20 largest defense contractors, 14 are U.S.Co’s (including the 3 biggest in the world), I kind of doubt we’ll be dependant on anyone ‘overseas’ anytime soon. Its kinda in part why we get to play with these old carbines today.
We may be able to make the rifles, but will we be able to provide the raw materials to do so? Too much of our steel and aluminum comes from overseas!
Old 08-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Just because those steel mills are closed doesn't mean they can't be reopened.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInGA View Post
Just because those steel mills are closed doesn't mean they can't be reopened.
You still need the raw ore, and opening or expanding mines now would not be the same as in the past with all the environmental and safety laws.
As to the mills - yes you can reopen them - assuming they are not so far gone as to do so. And then you need the experienced employees to operate them.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22mike View Post
Who would build M1 Carbines today if we needed them for another world war ???
"build M1 Carbines today"? As a couple of others posted--- Plenty could build them. Would be done faster and using less manpower compared to WW2 on top of it.

BTW---It's getting old hearing the BS "we don't build things in the U.S. anymore".

(Consider this----One Chrysler transmission plant (Kokomo, Indiana) alone had a production rate of 800,000 8 speed transmissions in 2018. Going beyond "war footing" production scenario working 24/7/365 it should be realistic to expect producing an M1 Carbine is very doable.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:51 AM

they are being made now!
https://www.auto-ordnance.com/auto-ordnance-m1-carbine/
Old 09-02-2019, 08:41 AM

This is an urban legend, and is proven to be utter B.S. It was tested and found to be a myth.

[QUOTE=dwl018;304424]Probably the same firms that are currently geared up to produce halberds and caltrops......

Could you imagine the look on some young Patriots' face at Valley Forge if someone handed him one with a 30 round magazine saying, "She's handy, fast, and accurate." "But the down side......, She won't shoot through frozen winter clothing......"[/QUOTE]
Old 09-02-2019, 09:33 AM

A new war would be over before a single plant started making parts. In addition, the Obama EPA shut down the last lead smelter in the states. If we want lead for bullets or batteries, we have to send the ore to China. Have them refine it and send it back.
Yep, the war would be over by them.
I walk roads picking up old wheel weights. Just for exercise you understand.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
A new war would be over before a single plant started making parts. In addition, the Obama EPA shut down the last lead smelter in the states. If we want lead for bullets or batteries, we have to send the ore to China. Have them refine it and send it back.
Yep, the war would be over by them.
I walk roads picking up old wheel weights. Just for exercise you understand.
Modern substitutes exist to overcome the lead issue. Right now 75% of lead requirements are being met by recycled lead. Non issue.

Recycling means that a huge part of steel and pig iron production is re-melt. So one supply of materials during WW2 would most probably come into play in this era.

But one could imagine an army of old retired duffers wandering the highways and byways picking up wheel weights----at least the ones that are still lead. Hopefully this does not result in a lot of roadkill.

As far as war being the need and it being over before production started---What else is new? Each and every year the gov't produces small arms. Some get used--some don't. In regards to carbine any left over would most certainly get passed to the CMP so look at the upside of this whole fantasy.

BTW---The oft quoted cost of the M1 Carbine back in "The Big One" was $45. which according on one conversion chart is around $650. in todays money.

Last edited by ordmm; 09-02-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22mike View Post
Who would build M1 Carbines today if we needed them for another world war ???
Did you steal the idea from an episode of Green Acres?

Oliver Douglas accidentally discovered the Hooterville Airplane Works' Jenny contract from WWI had never been properly terminated. The town council voted to reopen the plant to complete the order.

Looks like they're set up to switch over to carbine production pretty easily (and get more carbines accepted than IP).