Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 AM

Message sent.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Received mine in the mail yesterday. Looks good. Thanks Jim.

Jim
Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Okay, Took a look and they are great.
Jim, what is causing that sweet leather smell? Is that neatsfoot oil? I always heard from my Hi Power competotor friends not to use it because it softens the leather and that causes it to stretch some when in position. I am not gonna be using these for Hi Power competition, only to dress up rifles. would you recommend what to treat them with?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 PM

No, the leather is "fresh cut". And don't worry about Neatsfoot's oil. It does stretch the leather a bit in holster applications, but the reason most of the slings in those World War II shots look inky black is, they used LOTS of the stuff, because they cut into the shoulder less. Remember, a holster with a handgun in it is under continual stress. A sling rarely is! I use Neatsfoot's. Mink oil works great, too, but there's one problem: animals--cats and dogs for sure, but probably a lot of other critters--smell something in it, hormones I suppose, and pay WAY too much attention. This can be about chewing or territorial marking, but neither one is good. So I avoid mink oil. There is probably some lanolin treatment done before these leave Holland, but Neatsfoot's really is the best thing to use. It's great for shoes and boots over the winter, too.

Edit: my supplier in the Netherlands has folded (2014) and I now have a half dozen suppliers.

The smell fades in a few weeks.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 04-25-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Message sent.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM

PM sent
Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 PM

Jim,
Received my sling in the mail today, fast shipping!
It looks great, I'm going to try a few coats of that Neatsfoot oil, darken and soften it up a bit.

I had ordered a sling from Turner Saddlery a couple of weeks ago, still waiting on that one to ship!

Thanks again for the nice customer service!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Jim,

Do you have any left for sale? If so, I'll take two of each. All the praise has worn down my resistance .

Of course, all that resistance means I'm probably too late!

Just lrt me know.

"Life is Good!"
Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM

One thing of which I hope you are ALL aware:

Real, genuine M1907's were NEVER uniform in color, one compared to the next. I have seen reddish, dyed brown, oiled brown, very nearly black, and so on. The only thing I have NEVER seen on an authentic sling is that disgusting, trumped-up dry white thing, and when I get it on a repro, I oil it immediately to induce a nice dark natural tan.

But these do vary in color! I'm sure you noticed in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN they were reddish, which was very common on Raider and Airborne gear (why, I do not know!), albeit not uniformly so.

Some of this is difference in the hides, some are lightly dyed, most are natural skins, oiled just enough to be workable.

But this same permutation follows through on these repros, albeit I seldom see that "reddish" color. Last case opened is predominantly brownish. You can darken any of these tones with Neatsfoot's oil.

And don't buy the hype. Unless it's an antique, Neatsfoot's works very well. All the phony baloney usually comes from con men who, what a surprise, have something to sell. It may not be ideal for something in a museum, but that isn't where my guns are.

Anyway, there will be less color permutation on these than on the real ones. (Update/edit: this is no longer correct. Now, a wide variety of colors and tones is extant. Even "all black"!)

And by the way, as long as you understand the parameters, go ahead and order if you wish. It looks as if my travel plans are likely to be proscribed.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 05-28-2016 at 06:48 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 PM

If anyone is teetering on the fence as to whether to make this investment , stop teetering. These slings are excellent quality. Even though the word 'reproduction' tends to scare some folks off - the quality inherent in the manufacture of the pieces of exquisite leather is top notch. And you can't beat the price. Honestly , I feel they are worth twice the price asked!!

(Don't get any ideas Jim, haha).

I am going to order some neatsfoot and treat my 4 slings. Last question- do you cover all 4 aspects (top. bottom, both sides), or just the smooth top surface.

Thanks and safe travels.

Tags
gi sling, leather slings, m1907, real leather, repro sling