Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 PM

Smile A Pasture Fence/Soda/Beer Cans & Whipped Cream

30 years ago the son & daughter were helping me put in a new pasture fence. A post every 16'. all hand dug and set and tamped in. After they got out of school we could usually do 10 posts per day.

The reward for each days work (aside from a strong appetite and hearty food was "The Game"

1st Day with the top of the post ranging 30' to 160 ft. The target was a 12 gauge SS metal base; primer towards the shooter. Using my Marlin 39A Golden the "coin toss" child began shooting. 1st miss the other child took over.

The excitement and arguing was really neat. Both Jess and Sara were ready to work Day 2. Pretty much the same scenerio Day 2 except the 12 Ga. shells were standing upright. Same rules but a lot more ammo fired/but less work being done because of the "fun element introduced.

This 1/2 mile sq. pasture fence continued to be built using water filled soda/beer cans to maintain the sibling competition. The biggest gripes I got was when I sent them out daily to et ALL the targets picked up. Should I mention they have now burned through about 1500 .22 Rds.

I set the 16" gate posts and gates. Again I set up targets on top of the gate posts. This time using whipped cream pressure cans. The bullet strike reaction on those are amazing if you can put the up at refredgerator temps.

The coin flip again, 1st goes then second and they tie score on this shoot.

Since the whole thing was just an instructional fun thing my wife suggested I shoot against the kids for score.

" That " Gentleman was not going to happen 5000 Rds of .220 ammo through my Marlin 39A Golden and all I got otta of it was a xhessy ole pasture fence Com'on wife fetch the yougin's some chow.

Rob

Last edited by Rob257; 12-22-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:45 AM

Great story! What a way to introduce your kids to shooting and get your fence built
Old 12-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Thanks Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Great story! What a way to introduce your kids to shooting and get your fence built

This past Oct. son Jess was here at the farm. He took his eldest (2 girls) out to shoot the same game. At 11 and 9 they shot pretty well.

I allowed the girls to use a rest much to my son's protests: "That's not how we did it??" I simply told him we needed the pasture then. We're simply passing on the history now; the pasture contains Black Angus Steers and the girls help me maintain the electric fence. Three familys feed on that beef. We butcher at home.

We have hickory groves in that pasture now. Son and I take his girls squirrel hunting in the fall Daughter lives some distance away.

At any rate this is the "smallbore" thread. My same Marlin 39A Golden has accomplished all of this; which includes the fall slaughter of our beef. At an estimated 30-35K rounds with nothing more that the routine cleaning and service work by the owner. The only change in the rifle in the last 30 years was the addition of a Redfield "Widefield 4X" Scope. Give an old man a break guys I's a Man's Rifle. A Cadillac. High quality, hard working and a heirloom. A tool that can represent a lifestyle.

Son Jess thinks he's just gonna inherit the rifle. I'm thinking there may well be a "game" between his daughters.

Rob

Last edited by Rob257; 12-24-2018 at 09:07 PM.