Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Default NS bolt vs. R marked bolt

Iím in the midst of pulling together parts to build a M1941 clone much like a recent post. My question is, is a NS bolt mandatory or can I use a nos R marked bolt? I have 3 R marked bolts already and a Mk.I receiver as well as 1925 SA barrel.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 PM

You are using a MKI receiver so it will not be “correct” clone to start with so either bolt will work. If you have a good NOS 03A3 bolt then go with that.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 PM

personally, I would look for a BF marked bolt..
Old 01-12-2019, 03:07 PM

The original rifles were all National Match, or were rebarreled NM rifles. The documents also detail that all bolts were polished and bright, therefore NM bolts.

The Marines ordered them all blued six months before the first scope was mounted.

Of the legit snipers that are known, the majority are from the Marine Corps NM orders of 1937 and 1940. So those have NS and D1 bolts respectfully.

Now I have seen a few legit snipers that have been sporterized at some point, that have random replacement bolts.

Also my personal belief is that the Army received some of the parts and pieces leftover from the cannibalized Marine sniper program, post 1953, and built some functioning rifles out of those parts and pieces. Which those could have had about anything.

As others have said, what you have already detailed of your build, I wouldn't worry about the added expense of the NS bolts. They are pretty salty if you haven't priced them.

Also technically even a regular NS bolt isn't correct, as they were NM polished NS bolts first and then later blued by the Marines.

I would just use what you have personally.

Good luck on your build.