Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Default So this is interesting...

So I just got PCSd to Rock Island Arsenal a few days ago and I just finished walking thru the museum. Its a small museum but if you ever have a chance to walk thru it I recommend doing so. Despite its small size they have a lot of interesting variants and pieces, including the first ever 1903 to come off the line.

Anyway, I walking thru the military rifles displayed and I come across a couple of 1903a4s and one in particular caught my attention because its topped with a Weaver K4. As far as I was tracking no K4 scopes were ever used with a4 rifles. The museum has binders with the documents on each rifle and sure enough its cataloged as a 1943 built a4 with a K4.

Probably means nothing since it was acquired in 1977 but I still found it interesting.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:10 PM

Have to agree with you . I've always thought and was told and maybe read . No K4's on A4s . Bob ??????
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM

well, not true,.
if you look up the card for both those rifles.
youll see that one was issued to the CIA, and the other to the secret service and were used during the late 60s.
the K460b was a scope installed during rebuilds and repairs. after the rifles were deemed out of service. the small room on the other side of the building has a large lot of files with location cards.. I have some pics of both rifles someplace when I went through the museum...I liked the gold plated M60 as well
Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
the K460b was a scope installed during rebuilds and repairs. after the rifles were deemed out of service.
Soooo... because they were "out of service" the K4 is still not allowed in CMP-sanctioned matches? I have a K4, would REALLY like to shoot it in a match vs. buying a 2.5. Either way I'll never have a genuine A4, just a "tribute" / clone type rifle... but I'd still like to participate in a match someday.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM

the CMP sniper match rules have nothing to do with what was actually used in service or combat.
but, they are rules. and the CMPs game, want to play the game, play by the rules.
as originally issued would be a Weaver M73B1.
part of rules also require the safety to swing all the way over, on the original A4, it would not swing all the way over.
the weaver K460B was used on M1 snipers, 1903A4 snipers, and some other service scoped rifles.
I find it silly that you can use a 4 power scope on a Mauser , but not on a 1903A4 replica, but like I said, not my game, and not my rules
Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
Anyway, I walking thru the military rifles displayed and I come across a couple of 1903a4’s and one in particular caught my attention because it’s topped with a Weaver K4. As far as I was tracking no K4 scopes were ever used with a4 rifles.
Your tracking is incomplete.

J.B.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
the weaver K460B was used on M1 snipers, 1903A4 snipers, and some other service scoped rifles.
I find it silly that you can use a 4 power scope on a Mauser , but not on a 1903A4 replica, but like I said, not my game, and not my rules
Roger, I hear you. Guess I'll pass on the matches then.