Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Your response is exactly why I'm torn. It looks decent now but parkerizing looks good too. I was just curious what others thought about it. I'd hate to drill and tap a gun that has not all ready been completly runied.
This. The real value is already gone... and "dolling it up" as a fake A4 can't decrease it's value... only increase it I believe. Say you pay $350 for a rifle, and do your own gunsmithing (bead blasting, barrel swap, parkerizing). You put $200 in a stock with metal, $150 in a NOS barrel, $100 in CMP-legal scope / rings... you have $800 in the rifle + the enjoyment of building it.

You don't think it'd bring $1000 on Gunbroker as a sorted out A4 clone / tribute?

EDIT: Case in point, $315 for a A3 on GB: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796263892

Last edited by eric_robin; 01-16-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM

Hey guys, a Sporter 03A3 isn’t necessarily a ruined gun with no value. Have you no sporting sense at all to appreciate these conversions for what they are? They are an inescapable and important aspect of the 03 and 03A3 history and, consider this, many were done by the veterans who carried them in service. Veterans who are regularly called bubbas when the conversions are discussed, regardless of the quality of workmanship.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Hey guys, a Sporter 03A3 isnít necessarily a ruined gun with no value. Have you no sporting sense at all to appreciate these conversions for what they are? They are an inescapable and important aspect of the 03 and 03A3 history and, consider this, many were done by the veterans who carried them in service. Veterans who are regularly called bubbas when the conversions are discussed, regardless of the quality of workmanship.
Yes - I agree... You're completely right. I came off a little strong in my last post, hoped to make a point, but no worries. These two rifles - https://imgur.com/a/M7bCa7Y - will be refinished and left as nice sporters to pass down to another generation. This rifle - https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796263892 - WILL be rebuilt as a A4 tribute as the barrel is toast and the stock is not particularly exceptional in my opinion.