Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender3 View Post
They also littered the "beach" with period correct expended rounds.

you're welcome
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post

The Marine museum has a lot of rifles that have been messed with, including at least one of the Unertl rifles.

For instance, they have Smith Corona 03A3's that are drilled and tapped and made into 03A4's. Did the Marines do that, or did they build them for some display for the museum at some time?

Personally everything I have seen of the Marine Museum, you can't rely too much on what is, or isn't correct by what is there.
One of the Unertl rifles was over at WTBN and they were shooting it on a regular basis...unbeknownst to the Museum.

The SC A4s were never intended for display at anytime to my knowledge.

Lots of stuff in the museum came from Interarms back in the day and from private donations....weapons that weren't even military etc.

Its got a decent AK collection...the 75 or so H&R T48s and the ~100 USMC rebuild M1 drill rifles.. some of which are used for the displays. They had a pile of 20mm aircraft cannon...no clue why...lol
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 10-26-2018, 08:55 AM

I think these are the 3 at the museum. I think they are the ones listed in the SRS.

Which all the Unertl Snipers started as National Match rifles first. Which the Marines received the last two NM orders in 1937 and 1940, 150 rifles received each shipment. The serials above are consistent with the serials we see in both of those shipments.

The 1.499 is just a fuzz higher than we normally see in the 1937 shipment. I know I have one in the 1.498 range about a thousand lower.

The other two 1.52 are in perfect range for the 1940 shipment.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
It's a real Unertl 1 1/4'' with lyman mounts as Neil said.

The USMC Unertls were those, but they made them commercially too. Without seeing the serial and rollmark it's impossible to say. Though I do believe it to be a real scope most likely.

The Marine museum has a lot of rifles that have been messed with, including at least one of the Unertl rifles.

For instance, they have Smith Corona 03A3's that are drilled and tapped and made into 03A4's. Did the Marines do that, or did they build them for some display for the museum at some time?

Personally everything I have seen of the Marine Museum, you can't rely too much on what is, or isn't correct by what is there.
When my shooting buddies and I went to the National WWII museum in New Orleans in March of this year we saw similar things. Six of the M1 Garands on display had T105 rear sights, obviously incorrect for WWII serial numbered rifles.
I was given contact information for the curator and to make a long story short, donated six lock bar sights which have been mounted on these rifles. Hope to get back to the museum again to see them in person, but have seen pictures, they look "much better" .
Old 10-30-2018, 01:51 PM

The USMC weapons collection had one 1903 sniper without scope. I was able to play with it a few times over the years 1971-1994. I handled it a during weapons displays for various reasons. It had the mounts, no rings, not saying that someone could have matched up a scope to the rifle. Last time I saw it was 1994. A gent that was the watch person said that he did not know of another in the collection circa 1989. I don't remember any details of stamps and such
Old 10-30-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender3 View Post
I appreciate the correction and most importantly, the education - thanks!

The museum, when it opened, had period correct weapons displayed. Some asshat, right after the museum opened, came in and took out all the Garand trigger groups, marched them up to the curators and told them they had a problem. Instead of beating him and throwing him in jail, they replaced a lot of the "open" weapons with plastic replicas and locked down others.

The historians took great pains to get things correct. They sent people to the beach at Tarawa who took castings of the wall, which they used to accurately recreate the scene in the diorama. They also littered the "beach" with period correct expended rounds.

Sorry for the thread derail, somewhat back to normal programming with one of many nice finds in the museum:

Pretty sure I know who you are talking about here. I have heard that story before......from him. Yes, he could be a little "brassy" at times. Suffice it to say there is an absolute ZERO chance he will ever do anything like that again.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Without going into details about names, can we fill in this story about the M1s at the Marine Museum? I have not been, but it sounds as if there are weapons people can handle, and that they have since been replaced by plastic replicas? Someone decided it was a good idea to disassemble the real ones? Fascinating.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:16 PM

I really question how much the 03A4 was used past 1945.

Maybe in sporadic small numbers here and there, but for all intensive purposes the M1C was the official sniper of the US Army by 1945, and even the M1C by this time was seen as inferior to the M1D. So they were basically already eyeing the M1C replacement by this time as well.

I know I've heard of sporadic use in Vietnam, but then they wouldn't have been on the main roster so to speak, and they could have free reign to do what they wanted to them.

I have never seen any legitimate documents in the archives that they were really used past 1945. It seems they went into long term storage as war surplus at WWII's end.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM

known that the 1903A4s were reissued to other gov branches, CIA, FBI and several state wildlife groups that were deemed Federal martial status. WY, MT AK are some. My M40 was owned by the Wyoming game and fish. the A4s that were rebuilt and sent to these branches had anything from Weaver K4s to Redfield 6 power scopes on them, I do clean and repair for several small museums, and many have some cool weapons in rotating stock, I cleaned a group of rifles for a local small museum , one was a donated A4 that had a Weaver 3x9 marksman installed with a drawing number etched deep into it. was in really good shape. Z lettered rifle as well. I also built them a USMC snipers rifle for display, and used a USMC 8 power scope that had been donated by Coors to them.. they have a large amount of M1 Garands , M14s and Carbines that have all been donated, the genuine M14s have all had the selectors welded on.