Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
BTW--easy way to count barrel grooves is to drive a cast lead bullet into the muzzle a quarter inch and pull it out with pliers.
That sounds like a good idea, but all I have around here in lead bullets are .357 Magnum and .45 Colt. I might ask my neighbor if he has any. He casts his own bullets.

I do have some .308 FMJ bullets. Would one of those work?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 AM

Yes, but I wouldn't use a big hammer. Put some grease on it first. Good Shooting. .
Old 02-15-2019, 10:46 AM

oldguns.net usually has a few 03 and A3 stocks and handguards for sale. http://oldguns.net/catacc.htm#Parts
Old 02-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Yes, but I wouldn't use a big hammer. Put some grease on it first. Good Shooting. .
Thanks. That worked. Itís 4 groove rifling.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Thanks. That worked. Itís 4 groove rifling.
That's very surprising, considering the 12-42 barrel date.

PLEASE, do not buy an after market stock! That rifle deserves on original. Rebuild stamped, or not. Not a scant or C-stock, but a straight one. That is my opinion.

Mike
Old 02-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
I have never tried counting rifling grooves before. It was not easy. Very difficult to count and Iím not 100% sure of this, but it looks like 5 groove.

One easy way of counting the grooves is to take a picture of the bore.

Here is a pic of the bore of a sported SC 03A3 that I picked up a little while ago...

Old 02-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:

PLEASE, do not buy an after market stock! That rifle deserves on original. Rebuild stamped, or not. Not a scant or C-stock, but a straight one. That is my opinion.
Actually not surprising, more 4s than 6s, though more 6s than people thought. I think JB has it up around 20k?

Agreed on the stock. Any stock that is WWII would work fine. Value is really the unique receiver/barrel and where it was put together. You can sell it without a stock to people who collect these at no loss of value (don't sell it of course), they would get it in a correct stock.

I would give my left toe to be back in Brisbane in 1945 to see what was going on. I don't say bad ugly or anything, just enterprising maybe and cool piece of history.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 AM

I recently purchased an original straight grip 03A3 stock in decent (good) condition from SARCO for about $75. It had some number markings stamped on it and some character dings. It was of about 1943 vintage. They have some better condition original stocks of the same type for about $125.

You would have to buy a handguard and all the stock hardware as well (Upper and lower bands, swivels, bayonet lug, etc.) which they also have for sale.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Just for the heck of it, here is a photo of one of the tins of ammo a friend of my fathers gave me at the time I got this rifle in 1961. Iím surprised I still have this tin and about 40 rounds of the ammo left, but I lost the stock, probably right after I put the sporting stock on it.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Mike
Keep in mind any stock you do buy with markings will be meaningless to the rifle. Most stamps, marks and cartouches are specific to the rifle to which the stock was attached at the time of their application. Remove the stock from the gun and the markings are nothing more than racing stripes on a street rod. My point is don’t pay extra money for any stock with marks. It would make for a much nicer and honest piece if you went with a clean NOS stock.

Last edited by S99VG; 02-17-2019 at 09:19 PM.