Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Well, I just bought one of these magazines from Numrich to use on my ugliest drill rifle. I also bought a cast steel reproduction trigger guard that they have on closeout. I’d rather modify a twenty dollar repro part than an original 1903 milled part. I also got a damaged scant stock since the Dupage drill was splintered beyond repair. I need to go back to work, having a day off is expensive!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
Well, I just bought one of these magazines from Numrich to use on my ugliest drill rifle. I also bought a cast steel reproduction trigger guard that they have on closeout. Iíd rather modify a twenty dollar repro part than an original 1903 milled part. I also got a damaged scant stock since the Dupage drill was splintered beyond repair. I need to go back to work, having a day off is expensive!
For the record, all my modifications were on the aftermarket mag body and a stamped follower, not the trigger guard.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanw View Post
For the record, all my modifications were on the aftermarket mag body and a stamped follower, not the trigger guard.
Ah, good to know. I need to go back and study this thread. My drill rifle has a stamped trigger guard, that needed to be replaced to use the magazine. Iím fully expecting to be disappointed in the cast steel Numrich guard, but for the money, it seemed worth a try. I donít know of anyone that has tried one, but it was on a closeout from $77 to 20 something.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:21 PM

77 is too much, but 20 bucks what the hell..
Old 01-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Hi Guys,

Had a chance to try the 10 round mag out yesterday. It jammed once after five rounds. The second & third time I fired all 10 with no issues! Guess it just had to seat itself correctly!

Had a few people do a double take, when they saw the rifle on the ready rack! LOL
Thanks again for your help, colemanw

Enjoy each day,
broom
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Guys,

Had a chance to try the 10 round mag out yesterday. It jammed once after five rounds. The second & third time I fired all 10 with no issues! Guess it just had to seat itself correctly!

Had a few people do a double take, when they saw the rifle on the ready rack! LOL
Thanks again for your help, colemanw

Enjoy each day,
broom

Lol, ya, mine gets a lot of double takes too
Old 02-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Hi Delta Tango,

How did the Numrick cast unit & 10 round mag. work out?
Seems like a few others might try one!

Enjoy life,
broom
Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 PM

I’m just getting back online. My dad passed away on January 19th and we have been quite busy taking care of his memorial and estate. The cast trigger guard actually looked pretty decent. The Numrich magazine fit well, but I haven’t tried running any rounds through it yet. This drill rifle will have a 35 Whelen barrel on it, so I expect to have some tuning to do to get it to feed reliably.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:52 PM

Hi Delta Tango,

I'm sorry for you and your family's loss, may he rest in peace.
Remember the good times with him

Good Luck with the 35 Whelen. I had to look it up, been a long time since I saw one...it was developed in 1922.

Take care,
broom
Old 02-18-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Delta Tango,

I'm sorry for you and your family's loss, may he rest in peace.
Remember the good times with him

Good Luck with the 35 Whelen. I had to look it up, been a long time since I saw one...it was developed in 1922.

Take care,
broom
Thank you, He was a great guy, taught me how to shoot, hunt and machine metal. His mind was still sharp at 86, but his old body just let him down. The 35 Whelen has been a family favorite. I bought a Remington Classic 700 at a gun show years ago and was impressed with its performance. My left handed son hunts with a Remington 7600 pump in same caliber. This old drill rifle will be reactivated with leftover Ďkibbles and bitsí that Iíve run across along the way. It will be a short little thing and itís nickname will be ĎFrankenTankerí. Iím taking pictures as I go, just for the heck of it. Iím having more fun than this project deserves. No 1903A3 parts of any real value are going into this. Itís the ugliest drill rifle Iíve seen. ($150 Dupage drill) A purist would have chest pains seeing it. My dad said it reminded him of the old Johnny Cash song where he built himself a Cadillac from pilfered parts while working at a GM assembly plant. A 55, 56, 57, ..... automobile. Don