Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Feds
not trying to disagree - but once it is sold - I have never heard that a serial number can't be covered? The M1 Carbine with the "newer" sight is hard to see the maker...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...ation-overview

I think its possible there is a comment about not covering serial number, but almost everything I have read "readily obliterated, altered, or removed" but not covering.

Do you have a FAQ, regulation or the like?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
Iíve done the same on the 03aforgery Iím building- stamp the SN on the scope mount. You can buy a set of stamps pretty inexpensively.
That's my plan since it only requires a screwdriver to expose the s/n. I will probably go ahead and check with the ATF website, since it would not be a major problem to copy the s/n elsewhere on the rifle should it be required. I'm certain that they have bigger fish to fry rather than unscrew the mount on every vintage sniper rifle.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 PM

I don't think the statement about the serial number being covered is illegal is true. Removed yes, don't do that. I have a few old guns that have no serial numbers at all. They were not required prior to 1968.
Some people also say it's illegal to remove an import stamp. In certain cases that's true but not most.

At the 18 VS match I noticed the armorer wrote something down about my scope. Not sure what but I assume he noted something about it as In case I shot a record and they discover a weaver k6 or something silly atop my A4
Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 PM

If I ever happen to be shooting with you I would like for you to remove your scope mount prior to shooting and reinstall lol.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
On the website, under Competitions/Travel Games, there seems to be a new requirement, i.e. all firearms must be inspected prior to the match with the last 4 digits of the serial number noted on the score sheet at that time.
In looking at my Swede, I find that the serial number is covered by the scope mount.
Will we be required to remove the scope mount prior to having the rifles inspected? -- or will the last 3 digits (located on the 2 barrel bands and the triggerguard) be sufficient?
At the Talladega 600 they wrote down the serial number of my scope on my 03A4, since you can't read that serial number either. It's not that big of a deal, unless you win and you've cheated. At the nationals they only inspected random draws and anybody shooting gold scores.