Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief jeff View Post
Is there some way to change ejection pattern of carbine. When fired brass is coming back and hitting me in forehead.
All of the suggestions so far are very good. I'm wondering which type slide your carbine has though. The last two slide versions (L379 and L479) had an angled upper piece that was meant to deflect ejected cartridges away from the shooter, although nothing's perfect to paraphrase a statement.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Had on hat and eye glasses. No hair for long time Always shoot with hat. Always wear glasses, and ear protection. Still hurt thru hat. Scrubbed chamber, was very dirty. Had detail cleaned and inspected bolt. Will try again when warm outside. Spring tube Quality Hardware with later updates, I think early type slide.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:55 AM

Member Milsurp Collector put this together to show the types of slides.

Linked below:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=44178
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief jeff
Had on hat and eye glasses. No hair for long time Always shoot with hat. Always wear glasses, and ear protection. Still hurt thru hat. Scrubbed chamber, was very dirty. Had detail cleaned and inspected bolt. Will try again when warm outside. Spring tube Quality Hardware with later updates, I think early type slide.
Lucky it didn't go down your shirt. The carbine can get quite HOT!

The slide suggestions above are good. Ejection was always a problem for the carbine.

That said, even with all the best parts, I still get the occassional "over the shoulder" case, though most land about 6 feet over the firing line, sometimes over 20 feet away! Like I hinted, even good ejection is chaotic. Retrieving brass is always a challenge. I rarely leave with as many as I brought. Of course during wartime this was never a serious issue so development only went so far.

If you don't succeed in altering your "trajectories" in the neverending swap of this part for that part, get a brass deflector. Sarco has them or ebay for a bunch more money. It works pretty well. I use one for full auto, just as a safety measure to avoid a volcano of hot brass.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 AM

I'm chuckling-my carbine would consistently fling brass in such a way the cases would bounce off the underside of the shelter roof truss and smack the top of my head. Hat required as well as tight shirt collar ��

Bill
Old 02-17-2019, 08:07 AM

Just throwing this out but are you left handed? Military rifles were made for right handed shooters. A left handed friend had same problem and he just turned his hat around and problem was solved.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:01 AM

I am left handed. Was into carbines 30 years ago. Recently acquired another one. Mainly Garand ,1911 guy. Never had carbine brass hit me so bad as this one.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:26 AM

When I qualified with the carbine in basic training in 1966 the instructor told us to button up our shirts and turn our caps around to keep brass from going down the back of our shirts. They'd probably had a lot of ejection problems due to so many people qualifying and lack of maintenance. Good advice anyway.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:25 PM

I've had similar problems with my Garand. You sure know it when a 30'06 case hits your head. It's no pleasant thing when it hits your plastic ear muffs! What a noise!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Even worse when a hot case from a Garand comes down and hits the back of your neck and then goes down your back inside your t-shirt!