Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
My opinion? Leave it be and appreciate it's history. Buy an SA and make it pretty.
Yeah, I've been looking at it more and I'm inclined to leave it as-is. It looks like it has some history. Looks like a grunt, where a 6M SA looks more like a REMF.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 AM

At least oil and grease it to preserve it and stop further oxidation.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
At least oil and grease it to preserve it and stop further oxidation.
I give every rifle a decent coat of CLP and wipe it down so it's not wet. Even the guns I won on CMP Auction. Preserving the metal is my main goal.

Btw, the rifle I built in my AMC class was freshly parkerized and had that battleship gray color. I gave it a good coat of CLP as described above, and now, after a year it has turned more of that greenish-gray color that you see on original rifles. Which I really like.

I saw other threads that using RLO will help turn parkerized steel to a nice color, but I seem to be having good results with CLP.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 AM

On fresh refinished parts I ususally rub in a thin coat of grease. This always seems to work well for me
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
I give every rifle a decent coat of CLP and wipe it down so it's not wet. Even the guns I won on CMP Auction. Preserving the metal is my main goal.

Btw, the rifle I built in my AMC class was freshly parkerized and had that battleship gray color. I gave it a good coat of CLP as described above, and now, after a year it has turned more of that greenish-gray color that you see on original rifles. Which I really like.

I saw other threads that using RLO will help turn parkerized steel to a nice color, but I seem to be having good results with CLP.
Don't put RLO on metal parts. The only reason it appears to "change" metal colors is because it puts a hard crusty coating on after it dries that will eventually flake off and look like c$ap. And, because it's an organic plant based "oil", it may actually cause more oxidation than prevent it under that coating.

The reality is that CLP is not a very efficient product for a corrosion preventative no more than any other "catch all" gun cleaning product. They market that stuff as a solution to everything when it's actually not the best for anything. Not C-cleaning, L-lubrication, or P-protectant. Nothing can do all at the same time efficiently.

Last edited by lapriester; 02-17-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Your Winchester is probably (in my opinion) a Turk return. Every rifle I examined at the South Store at the height of the Turk return "wave" had a reddish-brown tarnish on the parkerization, including the WIN-13 with original barrel I purchased last April. My opinion is that the reddish-brown tarnish is characteristic of systematic poor maintenance of loaned martial arms by the Turks.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Your Winchester is probably (in my opinion) a Turk return. Every rifle I examined at the South Store at the height of the Turk return "wave" had a reddish-brown tarnish on the parkerization, including the WIN-13 with original barrel I purchased last April. My opinion is that the reddish-brown tarnish is characteristic of systematic poor maintenance of loaned martial arms by the Turks.
So you personally wouldn't feel guilty about re-parking it? I'm still mulling over doing so.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM

If your not sure what to do,as your post indicates,leave it as is. What’s the rush to repark? If you’re up for a handsome rifle, why not start with a more common receiver? You can never make it original or put back the way you received it. JMO
Old 02-17-2019, 03:38 PM

I must agree with the “leave it alone” posters. There are plenty of Springfield Armory rifles out there to refinish. I would not mess with a Winchester, as it will always have more value with original finish...even if it has plenty of patina.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:24 PM

I will never re-park any Garand. If it's not a very collectable Garand and I don't like how it looks I'll either sell it or trade it so it's not worth the cost to me. The only exception is if I have a shiny gas cylinder on a Garand that I like I will send the gas cylinder assembly to Hueygunner and have him black it with Mil spec oxide finish.