Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 PM

bayonet lug is from a 1917, missing the buttplate screw... barrel has been recrowned..
id be suspect of whats under the wood.
handguard wont work with a standard 1903a3 band and bayonet lug anymore..
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Great catch on the barrel band. My uneducated eyes never saw that. So does the bevel on the muzzle identify the recrown? The reason I ask is because a lot of 03a3 barrel pictures online have that bevel.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Great info guys thanks for sharing. I am in the same boat...Owning a NO and not knowing what to do with it.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:13 PM

being in the white says recrowned
Old 01-04-2019, 11:43 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
I buy them--generally at a hefty discount, strip off the parts which are usually excellent and transfer everything to a good salvaged drill receiver. Don't really know if the cast receivers are a problem, (I suspect not) but nothing beats a genuine A3 receiver, IMO. Good Shooting. ..
This!!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM

I have owned two of them and sold them to different people. I had no problems while I owned them. I did not know about them until after buying the 2nd one.
I did get lucky buying a genuine remington back then in a pawn shop for $115.

At a gun show one time, I saw an individual going nutty with a table dealer over an Alpine carbine he had sold for an outrageous price claiming it was a super rare ww2 carbine.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM

This is an old thread! The original question was about National Ordnance 03A3 rifles.

These rifles were made in California by a company which cast replica 03A3 receivers and then built rifles on them, using new condition surplus GI parts which were available for just pennies at the time. Where an original receiver would be marked "Remington" or "Smith Corona", these were marked "National Ordnance".

Back about 1968, I bought all the parts I needed to build an 03A3 (minus the receiver) from the Department of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) for under $5.

I looked everywhere for a receiver, but they were simply not available thru DCM or anywhere else at the time. I saw a National Ordnance advertisement in a gun magazine and was able to buy one of their receivers for around $20.

Unfortunately, I could not get parts to fit into it. I recall specifically that the holes in it for the guard screws did not line up with the ones in the Magazine/trigger housing. It was completely useless and I had to send it back for a refund.

I cannot speak to its strength or to any accuracy because I never got that far with the National Ordnance receiver. I have since built a few 03A3 rifles using those DCM parts and Remington receivers which I reclaimed from drill rifles.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Not to mention that the thread pitch is different for the guard screws. At least on the one I looked at one time.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 PM

I have heard the castings were done in Spain and finished in El Monte, Calif. Not sure if they were ever heat treated. Way too photos floating about showing blown-up rifles. Good parts kits, but that is about all their value.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
I have heard the castings were done in Spain and finished in El Monte, Calif. Not sure if they were ever heat treated. Way too photos floating about showing blown-up rifles. Good parts kits, but that is about all their value.
Thank you for all the info on the NO receivers.
I am on the hunt for a drill rifle receiver and hope to bring this 03A3 back to life.