Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 PM

Default USMC ‘03 Repro Scope Advice

I’ve done due diligence researching old threads about Leatherwood Hi-Lux Malcom 8x scopes, but haven’t found anything recent addressing quality issues with the scope and especially the mounts. Has Hi-Lux solved their problems?
Should I go with the Leatherwood Hi-Lux scope and DZ Arms mounts, or are there any older quality scopes and mounts that mimic the Unertl USMC scope under a K?
Thanks
EO
Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 AM

I suggest you look for a suitable Unertl, Fecker or Lyman. I found a Unertl 7/8" hunting version (no AO) for a very reasonable price that I am totally satisfied with. My Malcolm possibly looks more like the real USMC, but it has a cracked main tube and a history of other problems. The repro is the last resort, IMO. Good Shooting. ....
Old 09-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the advice ceresco, by the way, what is an AO?
Found several possible choices, one of which is 1” Unertl 8x target with medium-fine crosswires and caps. What’s your call on that thickness for Vintage Sniper?
Another 1” Unertl 8x has medium wires with a scope stop. Not really sure what a stop does.
Would you mind explaining.
Thanks
EO
Old 09-23-2018, 09:22 PM

I believe AO = adjustable objective lens
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 AM

for vintage snipe class, tube has to be 3/4 inch.
steve earl bases.
careful with info on the net.
some great info.
some misleading well meaning info.
nothing wrong with the repro scopes. they stand behind the product, and have a good customer service. not sure you will find that with a 65 year old scope.
personally I have installed more then a few, Malcom scopes.. they are ok. fit and finish is good, keep in mind.
they are a China made copy of a 65 year old scope, and suffer from the same issues as an original scope.
look at it like this.
when this system was in use.
we just started to have refrigerators in homes, average car had a flat head 6 in it, no common cars or trucks had power windows or A/C. TV was a new fad, and most homes didn't have a phone in them.
people build these rifles. on a rifle made in 1918. buy the cheapest parts they can, and expect modern rifle performance from them..
Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

+1 for what Chuck said.

I have one of the repro scopes.

The optics are pretty good. Kinda what you would expect from modern glass.

There are some down sides that can be remedied. Get the Steve Earl bases and screws. Then replace the Thumb wheel(base locking ) screws they are a bit soft and can strip. Not a big deal and not hard to come by.

The clicks in the turrets can be a little mushy but they work.

Make sure you find a good smith to put it on. And remember 7.2 inches center to center for the mounting blocks if you want 1/4 MOA clicks.

There are some other threads on this topic here. Read them all.

It will get you in the game and serve you well if you do your part without having to shell out 5K.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:51 AM

There is nothing in the CMP rules requiring a 3/4" tube for the 1903 sniper rifles. Good Shooting. ..
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 AM

Only rifles with optical sights may be used. Sights must be original issue optical sights with as-issued reticles or sights may be commercial replicas of as-issued optical sights. In addition, specific non-issue scopes that are listed in Table I may be used. Such non-issue scopes may only be used on the rifles for which they are specifically listed. Replica or non-issue sights may have only crosshair, post or post with crosshair reticles. Scope mounts and rings may be original or reproduction replicas. Scope rings may be sleeved or modified to accept a non-original scope diameter.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:15 AM

the original had a 3/4 inch tube, replica or reproduction scopes, will be the same.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:19 AM

depends on who is doing the tech inspection I guess, I see they also changed the trigger pull from 3.5 pounds to 2.5 pounds. they also say nothing about the safety swinging all the way over, but I know they fail rifles that dont, and have failed rifles with the larger tube scope {Cody}