Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Steve has some bases, {Lyman} that work best, using them , the bolt will clear the scope without issue,
using the O and E style that everyone thinks is correct, you will have to modify the bolt handle to clear the scope.

I have an 8 power Lyman on my personal rifle.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM

i will add.
that having the CMP let 4 power Weaver scopes on the A4 replicas will sure make life easier,
as that scope was used during Korea.
3 A4s were on display at Rock Island with Weaver K4 scopes on them, all came from the CIA.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I believe that I have gleaned enough information through this thread to make a good decision on selecting a scope and mounts.
Respectfully
EO
Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM

The term "Lyman Height" scope blocks keeps being thrown around as a remedy for scope to bolt handle clearance on '03 to USMC sniper conversions. Reportedly the Unertl "O" and "E" blocks were used back in the day by Unertl. The Unertl "O" block runs between .230" in thickness to .235" depending on which chart you read. The Unertl "E" block runs .470" to .477" again depending on which chart is read. With this information in mind, what is the height of these so-called Lyman blocks in this application to eliminate clearance issues? I don't believe I have ever seen a Lyman Chart that gives block usage or dimensions. Thanks...

Rick H.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcop View Post
The term "Lyman Height" scope blocks keeps being thrown around as a remedy for scope to bolt handle clearance on '03 to USMC sniper conversions. Reportedly the Unertl "O" and "E" blocks were used back in the day by Unertl. The Unertl "O" block runs between .230" in thickness to .235" depending on which chart you read. The Unertl "E" block runs .470" to .477" again depending on which chart is read. With this information in mind, what is the height of these so-called Lyman blocks in this application to eliminate clearance issues? I don't believe I have ever seen a Lyman Chart that gives block usage or dimensions. Thanks...

Rick H.
It's not the height of the blocks. It's the height of the lyman mount or micrometer or whatever you call it on the repo scopes. Or the ones on the lyman supertargetspot scopes. They are both the same as the chinese copied the lyman design on the scope. They didn't copy a Unertl one which is taller.

These tubes are all fixed and the movement is in the micrometer. The height off the rifle is also in this mount/micrometer.

I believe original lyman and Unertl blocks are really similar in height. I don't think there is much difference, but I don't have a set of lyman's. As far as I know the taller Steve Earle blocks are ones he created to address the problem and are not based in something vintage, but I don't know that for sure. I study USMC and Unertl only.

If you use a repo scope, buy the steve earlie taller blocks. You will be ok then.

On an Original USMC Unertl rifle, with the Unertl O & E blocks, and a 8X Unertl 1 1/4'' USMC scope, the scope does not hit the bolt at all.

Last edited by cplnorton; 02-08-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:43 PM

For what it’s worth, I was the relay that got stormed on at Perry for the Vintage Sniper Match last summer. While unlikely it’ll happen again, folks were having condensation and fogging issues with their Malcolm’s, folks with Unertls weren’t. Not a deal breaker or anything like that, but something to keep in mind.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 PM

It cracks me up, because TDP0311 is probably the only one in the history of the sniper matches shooting a real USMC Unertl Sniper in the Match.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM

The front sight base determines the height of the scope tube, rear base just positions the adjustment window. The "Lyman" front base is .525-.550" high. Keep the scope low as possible. Head position is a big problem on rifles designed without scopes in mind. Bolt bodies are so inexpensive that cutting a clearance crescent in one is a no brainer. You cannot allow ANY rain on the repro or any older scope. Search the forums...lots of info there. Good Shooting. .
Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 PM

One of these days I'm gonna get cplnorton out for the Vintage Sniper Match, and we can have two real USMC Unertl sniper rifles on the line together!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM

keep in mind.
these are Reproduction built rifles to compete in the Vintage sniper class...
not copies of genuine Sniper rifles.
not fakes.
the majority of the replica rifles in use today, use the Malcom made 8 power scope.
the 1903 Bases that Steve Earl makes work very well. and most of the legal scopes can be used with them.
without grinding the bolt handle. or other mods.