Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Default 1941 03 sniper build questions.

Hi guys, I have picked up an 03 sporter, Mark I. basically I'm only using the action, which is the only 03 parts on it. stock and barrel are commercial.

looking for tips, or things to avoid in this build. I assume the new stock and barrel will come from the CMP.

Hi Lux scope, best place to buy from ?? is it best to replace the mounts with the Steve Earle mounts, and if you do, which do you get. Standard height or +.100 or +.200 and why ??

I need ALL the stock hardware, and complete front and rear sights, not concerned with correct, just need parts for correct "look" any good sources for parts, anyone I should avoid ??

I can do all the work myself, so no I'm not going to send it to someone. (I know we have some very good 03 guys here on the forum )

Thanks, 78jeep
Old 11-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Optics Planet has a deal today that will save you about $60 on the scope. You have to use the code at the top of the page at checkout.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2018, 12:59 PM

Thanks, it all helps. so far this seems like the best deal I've seen.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:44 PM

Smile 1903 parts

Hello,
PM sent
Happy Thanksgiving
Bob
Old 11-22-2018, 11:12 PM

Starting with just the action you can do all the best things. I would get the receiver face/locking lugs squared/trued and install a Criterion or Kreiger Match barrel - get a new Minelli or CMP "C" Stock and get it properly bedded like the originals (no glass, just properly fitted at the recoil lug, tang, etc. and mostly free floated except the nose where it bears on the barrel for vibration control).

Lots of builds here - do a search and read about the successes and problems of others BEFORE you repeat them..... CC
Old 11-25-2018, 09:59 PM

would be easier and cheaper to buy a complete rifle already in a G.I. C stock.. then build one out of a pile of parts.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:43 PM

Smile

Chuck is right about the expense - I built mine starting with a real USMC "C" Sniper stock ($$), then bought a receiver and NS bolt, 1935 barrel, all the hardware, etc., etc. doing it that way - and assembling it myself - I had at least $1400 in the rifle BEFORE getting mounts and a scope. And I'm still dealing with the fit of the stock, used GI parts, etc.

The one advantage of building from a receiver - if you square it, lap the lugs on a nice new bolt, polish the boltways, install a Criterion or even Krieger Match Grade barrel etc., and then fit a new stock perfectly as per "Arsenal Procedure" you should have as good an '03 as can be done. At a price...... Chuck is a great experienced '03 builder and resource - and he does fine work. I had him refinish an 03A4 (real) bolt to get it to look right for my "Postwar Rebuild 03A4 clone" - came out perfect.

As we used to say in Drag Racing - "Speed Costs Money - How Fast Do You Want To Go?" CC
Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
Chuck is right about the expense - I built mine starting with a real USMC "C" Sniper stock ($$), then bought a receiver and NS bolt, 1935 barrel, all the hardware, etc., etc. doing it that way - and assembling it myself - I had at least $1400 in the rifle BEFORE getting mounts and a scope. And I'm still dealing with the fit of the stock, used GI parts, etc.

The one advantage of building from a receiver - if you square it, lap the lugs on a nice new bolt, polish the boltways, install a Criterion or even Krieger Match Grade barrel etc., and then fit a new stock perfectly as per "Arsenal Procedure" you should have as good an '03 as can be done. At a price...... Chuck is a great experienced '03 builder and resource - and he does fine work. I had him refinish an 03A4 (real) bolt to get it to look right for my "Postwar Rebuild 03A4 clone" - came out perfect.

As we used to say in Drag Racing - "Speed Costs Money - How Fast Do You Want To Go?" CC
They are probably correct about the cost. However, I understand you, sometimes it's more about the experience of the build. I'm itching to start my A1 clone., if I could ever find a decent donor receiver. I built an A4 last winter and I'm currently putting together an A3 from a drill receiver I recovered. If I run into any pit falls I will report back
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 PM

hebes405,
I can relate to the "Experience of the Build" thought of yours. I did enjoy looking for each original, period part that "could have been" on a Marine M1903A1 Unertl equipped sniper rifle. Every part on mine is correct vintage - so I deliberately picked up an already proven drill rifle receiver and nickel steel (NS) bolt from another US .mil rifle enthusiast I know. The rifle "looks" right - but the weld damage, slight though it is, around the cutoff should prevent anyone with a brain from buying it as an "Original" USMC Rifle after it leaves my hands.

There are satisfying moments - and two of mine were finding an original, unused set of Unertl "0" and "E" scope mount blocks with screws, nice color case hardened and just like the day they were made (had been kept in a jar of oil in an old gunsmith's desk) - I already had Steve Earl repos - but now everything on the rifle is from "back in the day"! The second very satisfying moment was when, after sourcing all these parts from gun shows, ebay (barrel and USMC stock) - from EVERYWHERE - and assembling them - I stuck an excellent and proven laser bore sighter into the rifle muzzle and the sights were Dead ON with the rear sight centered. THAT is a tribute to all the different places and people who made '03 Springfield parts - that they all fit and work together PERFECTLY - even from random sources!!

That said, if you lack the skills or tooling to screw on the barrel/headspace or fit a stock, I can heartily recommend Chuck in Denver - he has built a LOT of these guns. And keep in mind, you will be shooting it sooner if you just buy a complete rifle and modify it. But a full build with all the best parts should net a superior rifle.... CC

Last edited by Col. Colt; 11-27-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:14 PM

I think I found my donor action. Let the games begin