Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Reporting back. Here are the answers to some questions I had:

Steve Earle bases worth it/ necessary? I ordered Steve Earle scope blocks. They seem high quality. They ( standard height) are slightly taller than the blocks provided with the hi lux scope. My BF bolt clears no problem. Necessary? Hmmmm, probably. I highly recommend them.

Rear sight collar install. How hard is it? You need the proper tools or be very careful, you can wreck it very easy. Even more so removing an old one.

Do I need to cross pin the rear sight base? No. I have talked with several different repuitable sources and they all say the press fit is enough to hold these in place. I can not vouch for the long term durability because my build is in the infancy stage, but I trust my sources and I'm not pinning my collar.

24# firing pin spring needed? Nope. Actually stay away from them. I'd recommend a new 16 or 18#.

That is all the question I had before my build. I answered these by just doing it. Hope this might help some new builder out.

If you have any specific questions, post em up
Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 AM

I did exactly what you did, although I don't know enough details to do mine as original was. I had Chuck do the technical part, as I don't have those skills either. New CMP stock, new Criterion barrel, new mounts, and watching ebay for all the stock accessories I needed. I got into my sporterized rifle essentially for free, so no expense for receiver and trigger/mag, and I'm in over $2,000 before it was all done. It's what I wanted to do though, bring it back to life and know it's sorta close to what it once was.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM

How do you have $2k in a rifle with a free Rec & bottom metal?
$200 barrel
$200 stock
$50 Blocks

Thats a $1600 missing?

Smag~
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM

barrel, sight bases, scope, scope blocks, bolt, stock bands, buttplate, screws, rear sight, front sight, handguard, bayonet lug.
then,
labor to install all these parts.
include some welding, drill and tapping,
repark, blue,
all that costs money if you dont have it,
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM

The vintage sniper game is fast becoming similar to other long gun sports. Guys get into it thinking they are going to win or do well in all sorts of matches and when they don't, or the effort becomes too much of a burden they end up selling the rifles they built or had built for them. Watch the used rifle market these days, you can find some sweetheart deals on used iron for far less than one might expect. Just have to be patient.

Rick H.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Yeah, that second hand price is prolly more inline with what there worth as well.

With a 20x Unertl

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793513883

$1895 had money left over for new barrel.

Smag~

Last edited by smag; 01-13-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smag View Post
How do you have $2k in a rifle with a free Rec & bottom metal?
$200 barrel
$200 stock
$50 Blocks

Thats a $1600 missing?

Smag~
Exactly what Chuck said. It all adds up, but I planned on it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcop View Post
The vintage sniper game is fast becoming similar to other long gun sports. Guys get into it thinking they are going to win or do well in all sorts of matches and when they don't, or the effort becomes too much of a burden they end up selling the rifles they built or had built for them. Watch the used rifle market these days, you can find some sweetheart deals on used iron for far less than one might expect. Just have to be patient.

Rick H.
Thanks for the insight but this is a build thread not a buy thread. You never know, some people just might find enjoyment in building guns. I know I do. Currently on my bench there are 2 1903s, a vz 24 parts kit , an old speedmaster that needs some love, a weaver k6 that needs crosshairs, a k4 that needs a lense, a k4 and some 03 parts that just came out of the hot bluing. This not my to do list either, these are active projects. Its quite a satisfying hobby working on this old stuff
Old 01-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Not exactly apples to apples, but I'm building an 03A4 clone right now using a drill rifle receiver I picked up for $20. Between parts already on hand and a few others recently sourced, I will have less than $500 into the rifle minus scope once it gets back from Chuck's for the barrel installation. It's been a fun project so far, and if it shoots as well as my original A4, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM

more. pricey parts and harder to get for 1903 VS 1903A3.
bit more work as well.
I get guys with a sportered 1903 action calling daily.
I know what they are thinking.. as they dont want to ruin a unmolested 1903.
my response to everyone of them is.
its ideal, to find a nice 1903 already in a C stock, even if it has no finish left on it, with a good barrel, and all the parts.
even if you spend 1000.00 on the rifle.. {greek return are best} then to use a beat up hunting rifle action with holes already drilled, that may or may not be usable.
to hunt down G.I. parts that are in good order and usable isn't real tough, but can be pricey.
will most likely cost more to build it from bits.
however, I get that whole, thrill of the hunt for parts, and doing it a little at a time.
as for 1903A3s to A4 replica.. finding one thats already drilled for a Redfield base, is ideal. a new barrel, nicely done bolt. in a C stock or scant grip stock can be done. a weaver K 2.5 scope is the way I go on rifles I build up and sell.

Last edited by chuckindenver; 01-14-2019 at 11:27 AM.