Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM
OTShooter OTShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8
Default 03A3 Rear Sight Base Removal Questions

I have a nice “service grade” Remington 03A3 with one real problem: the rear sight base got messed up some time before I bought the rifle, to the point that the sight wasn’t really going to work.

I have managed to take all of the parts off of the base, including the securing set screw, and I have a replacement base. I just can’t get the old base to budge.

Mine has two VERY deep staking punches. I have drilled on them to the point that I think I’m about half-way through the base itself. How far do I need to go to get the stakes to “let go” of the receiver bridge? And when I finally get the old base off, will the bridge have substantial damage from the stakes?

Also, I’ve read that I should use something like Loctite to secure the replacement base. What type is appropriate here, and where should it be applied?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2019, 05:32 PM
ceresco ceresco is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,402
Default

If the base is "toast".... just saw most of the way through it and break it off the receiver. The sight base is soft and the receiver is incredibly hard. Good Shooting. ..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 338
Default

Tap it off with a mallet left to right. To secure the new base drill and tap 2 small set screws in the base instead of staking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 PM
John Beard John Beard is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 2,697
Default

Seasons' Greetings!

The quickest, easiest, and best way to remove the rear sight base is to lift the bolt handle and lay the rifle down and over on a work bench resting on the upturned bolt handle. Do NOT draw the bolt back, but leave the bolt fully inserted in the receiver. Then take a large drift punch, place it against the bottom front of the rear sight base right at the upturn, and give it a whack with a hammer. Repeat on the bottom front and rear sides of the dovetail until the base is removed.

I have removed scores and scores of rear sights at the CMP using that method and the rear sights come off unbent with no damage.

Good Luck! And Happy New Year!

J.B.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2019, 05:26 PM
OTShooter OTShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8
Default

I finally got that @%$&ing base off!

I was worried that I'd drill all the way through the sight base and damage the receiver, so I was taking it slowly - and dulling my not-too-expensive drill bits. I'd do a little, dull a bit, and put it away for a while. And life happens...

Today I had some time to mess with it, and I worked at it a bit, then I used Mr. Beard's technique. I'd tried that before, but hadn't removed enough of those blankety-blank stakes for it to work. But this time, I got it to move, then slide off!

I actually DID go all the way through the base, but probably only to the point that I had thinned the bottom of the stakes to "almost nothing," so when I pounded the base off, what was left sheared off. Here's what it looks like:



As you can see, the (shooter's) left ear is really bent over. Both sides are chewed up, but if the left ear had just been bent, I might have been able to straighten it up. No, it's bent AND rounded over. So it's now a piece of history that's not on my rifle anymore.

Now for a new question: I've read in various places that a replacement rear sight should be retained with LocTite. What type, and where should I apply it? And should I put the stuff on before I start the base onto the dovetail?

Thanks again for everyone's helpful advice and encouragement. I hope to get this rifle fully "range ready" by late February, now that I have the one real "problem" with it licked.

Last edited by OTShooter; 01-13-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:21 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTShooter View Post
I finally got that @%$&ing base off!

I was worried that I'd drill all the way through the sight base and damage the receiver, so I was taking it slowly - and dulling my not-too-expensive drill bits. I'd do a little, dull a bit, and put it away for a while. And life happens...

Today I had some time to mess with it, and I worked at it a bit, then I used Mr. Beard's technique. I'd tried that before, but hadn't removed enough of those blankety-blank stakes for it to work. But this time, I got it to move, then slide off!

I actually DID go all the way through the base, but probably only to the point that I had thinned the bottom of the stakes to "almost nothing," so when I pounded the base off, what was left sheared off. Here's what it looks like:



As you can see, the (shooter's) left ear is really bent over. Both sides are chewed up, but if the left ear had just been bent, I might have been able to straighten it up. No, it's bent AND rounded over. So it's now a piece of history that's not on my rifle anymore.

Now for a new question: I've read in various places that a replacement rear sight should be retained with LocTite. What type, and where should I apply it? And should I put the stuff on before I start the base onto the dovetail?

Thanks again for everyone's helpful advice and encouragement. I hope to get this rifle fully "range ready" by late February, now that I have the one real "problem" with it licked.
I drill and tap mine with 2 little number 4 set screws plus blue loc tite
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 AM
sakorick sakorick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Linneus, Missouri
Posts: 537
Default

Determine how tight it's going to be first. My new one went back on very tight and it isn't moving so it's a done deal. Be careful not to bend the right ear!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
Determine how tight it's going to be first. My new one went back on very tight and it isn't moving so it's a done deal. Be careful not to bend the right ear!
Good point, cut a piece of copper tubing or a block of wood between the ears for an extra insurance policy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 PM
OTShooter OTShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alamo City
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I drill and tap mine with 2 little number 4 set screws plus blue loc tite
My stake-drilling left holes too large for a #4 screw, but my replacement base looks like it's doable.

As for tightness of the new base and being careful not to goober it up... I'm planning to support the insides of the wings when I seat it. It looks like the space between the ears is on the close order of 0.750" (blueprints/dimensioned drawings of this part would be awesome!). Between some sort of spacer between the ears and being particular about how I drive the base on, I think I'm set.

Do you use grease or oil on the dovetail when installing the base?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.