Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM

There were (according to internet search) only 980,000 Mosin reproduction rifles produced by Finland. Considering that this was a wartime number this is I consider to be low production. As with all wars, many were lost, damaged scrapped etc. so I think the total number available would be quite low?? As with most?? perhaps all ww2 weapons they are safe $$ to collect if this is your interest.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron View Post
There were (according to internet search) only 980,000 Mosin reproduction rifles produced by Finland. Considering that this was a wartime number this is I consider to be low production. As with all wars, many were lost, damaged scrapped etc. so I think the total number available would be quite low?? As with most?? perhaps all ww2 weapons they are safe $$ to collect if this is your interest.

That is significantly higher than any number I've ever seen for Finnish rifle production.

Most sources I've seen put the number at less than half that, although the lower number would not include the SA marked Russian captures.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/FinnishMo...antNumbers.asp

When it comes to the M39, less than 120,000 were made. An inventory taken by the Finnish military in 1951 identified about 78,000 M39's of all types in depots.

Last edited by Calfed; 02-08-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 PM

I sold a nice M27 V.K.T. last year for $500. The guy that bought it did not complain.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
I sold a nice M27 V.K.T. last year for $500. The guy that bought it did not complain.
If he is a collector he made out pretty good. VKT did not make that many M27s, the vast majority were made by Tikka. A friend who is heavy into collecting these showed me last year where one bought in a Fayetteville NC gunshop for $250.00 sold in Wisconsin for just under $4k. I have been keeping an eye out for one ever since with no luck.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:27 AM

Several years ago the LGS here was getting in the neighborhood of $400 for nice ones---and they were selling. That's when run-of-the-mil 91-30's were going for $80-$90, and as observed above those are north of $300 now. IMHO the one you're is asking about is a very reasonable deal and if someone else who recognizes what it is comes along, it won't sit there for long. I recently saw a couple in a Nashville area store priced in the $600-$650 range, but can't offer any input on whether or not they have sold at those prices.

Last edited by Tester19; 02-09-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
Calfed, do you have one with a Chatellerault receiver? The French made MN's for only two years according to what I read; 1893 & 1894.

This is an 1894 Chatellerault model 91 rebarreled by the Finns in 1940. I lucked out and picked it up in a pawn shop a few years back. From the markings, it appears to have been captured by the Austrians at some point and then somehow ended up in Finland. The bore is pristine.

'43, that is a great looking M91. How does it shoot?

I honestly don't know if any of mine have a Chatellerault receiver. I've not taken them out of their stocks.

I have two Tikka M91/30's (The two at the top off the "cousins" picture). I once took one of them out of the stock and disturbed the metal shims that some Finnish armorer had no doubt painstakingly placed in the bedding area. Since then, I've avoided disassembling any of my Finnish rifles.

I've got two M91's with the Liege proof...

Last edited by Calfed; 02-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
'43, that is a great looking M91. How does it shoot?
I haven't shot it. I have a couple of other MN's that I also haven't shot; one is an original sniper that I bought when they first came into the country. It's not a pieced together set but matched. I also have one of the arsenal refinished 91/30 rifles with bayonet in excellent condition.

My shooter is one that I mounted an original WW2 scope on and had a friend turn down the bolt. It shoots quite nicely.

Quote:
I honestly don't know if any of mine have a Chatellerault receiver. I've not taken them out of their stocks.
I noted the markings on top of the receiver as well as the style of the original serial number and thought it may be a Chatelleraul. At $75 OTD, I wasn't going to be hurt if it wasn't. As you know, the date is stamped under the receiver tang and a circle C arsenal mark.

Quote:
I have two Tikka M91/30's (The two at the top off the "cousins" picture). I once took one of them out of the stock and disturbed the metal shims that some Finnish armorer had no doubt painstakingly placed in the bedding area. Since then, I've avoided disassembling any of my Finnish rifles.
Completely understand. If I hadn't needed to verify the receiver's origin, I would have left mine alone.

Quote:
I've got two M91's with the Liege proof...
VERY nice! You have an outstanding MN collection that anyone would be envious of. I wish I had paid more attention to them when they first came on the market at giveaway prices.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post

VERY nice! You have an outstanding MN collection that anyone would be envious of. I wish I had paid more attention to them when they first came on the market at giveaway prices.

It sure sounds like you have a nice collection yourself, Doubs43. That original sniper sounds amazing.

It is amazing how much the Finnish rifles have ballooned in price in the past few years.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
It is amazing how much the Finnish rifles have ballooned in price in the past few years.
Amazing is right. When the Finns first came into the country, a match director at our club GAVE AWAY three M27's as prizes for the top three finishers in a club match. I won one and let it get away.

Russian or Finn, there is so much history in the MN rifles.

I almost forgot; I have a really nice M38 too.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:04 PM

...then there's this to explain...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/798474039