Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Default 1903 Rear Sight Collar Removal and Installation

1903 Rear Sight Collar Removal and Installation for a New Criterion 1903 barrel. Did a search and haven't found what I'm looking for in the "how to" section.
Thanks,
eaglekeeper
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM

I'm no expert at removal, but here's how I would proceed.

(1) Remove the transverse retaining pin at the bottom front corner of the collar. The original pin is contoured on the ends to match the curvature of the collar and is not readily visible.

(2) Install an expendable (scrap) rear sight in the collar. And leave it installed until the collar is removed.

(3) Find or go buy a piece of steel pipe about 6 inches long that's the same diameter as the collar at the rear. If you can't find a pipe that's an exact match in diameter, then one slightly larger will suffice.

(4) Place the pipe at the rear end of the collar and, using a hammer, drive the collar off the barrel. If the pipe is slightly larger than the collar, then rotationally shift the pipe on the rear of the collar between hammer blows.

(5) If you see any evidence of rust or corrosion before starting, then soaking the collar and barrel overnight in a solvent would be prudent.

Good Luck!

J.B.

p.s.,

When you examine the collar at the rear, you will note a small longitudinal hole about the size of a pencil lead containing a metal pin. The pin is intended to keep the collar from rotating. The placement of the pin denotes the joint (circular seam) between the collar and the barrel.

Last edited by John Beard; 02-09-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Default 1903 Rear Sight Collar Removal and Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
(5) If you see any evidence of rust or corrosion before starting, then soaking the collar and barrel overnight in a solvent would be prudent.
Thanks for the info J.B.

Barreled receiver is soaking already in solvent.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 PM

To be clear, the barrel should be removed from the receiver BEFORE attempting to remove the collar.

J.B.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:51 PM

The main area that causes adhesion is the heavy collar at the forward end of the fixed sight base. Soaking with Kroll can't hurt, but I have found that a quick application of heat is more effective. A Harbor Freight heat gun is safer that a torch. Would also mention that the driving tube must be sized very close to the base diameter and held exactly "square" to the base when struck, or the sight base will be damaged. Getting the base off undamaged is only the beginning. Installing a used sight base on a new barrel is just as much fun..... Good Shooting...
Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 PM

Copy. She was pretty crusty (evidence of rust or corrosion) and had like a varnish on some of it. Hinze leading up to soaking already in solvent. Plus I needed more info on the collar removal. And have a good lead on another barrel with the collar on. Will see which way it goes and let you know.
Thanks,
eaglekeeper

Last edited by eaglekeeper; 02-09-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The main area that causes adhesion is the heavy collar at the forward end of the fixed sight base. Soaking with Kroll can't hurt, but I have found that a quick application of heat is more effective. A Harbor Freight heat gun is safer that a torch. Would also mention that the driving tube must be sized very close to the base diameter and held exactly "square" to the base when struck, or the sight base will be damaged. Getting the base off undamaged is only the beginning. Installing a used sight base on a new barrel is just as much fun..... Good Shooting...

Thanks, have a way to do a application for heat if it comes to that. Good info. This project just dropped into my lap and looks to be fun with bringing her back.
Thanks,
eaglekeeper

Last edited by eaglekeeper; 02-09-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 PM

This is one of the few things I will never do. I've tried several of them and each one I destroy it. I'm really good at working on my own stuff, but this is one item I will gladly pay someone like Chuck Moline to do for me.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

There was a set of purpose built removal/installation tools for sale by a machinist on eBay around four years ago - works slick if you can find a set, but as John said, barrel needs to come off and pin removed first. Using the tooling, damage is unlikely.

Perhaps someone here has a set to loan/rent? Otherwise, if unsure of your abilities, take the barrel off and send it to Chuck in Denver, as cplnorton advises. 1903 sight collars have gotten expensive enough to be counterfeited, I understand. CC
Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 PM

I’ve never removed a collar but I did replace one a few years back. I made an anvil out of a sight base by welding on a short piece of bar stock. The anvil helped but you will also need to use some heat. You will need to aline the left side of the collar on the stock line with the barrel index mark. As far as the pins go it’s a crap shoot on original barrels. For a Criterion you will probably have to drill them. In either case the index pin on the rear face of the collar will likely match nothing except the barrel it was removed from. Best of luck - you can do it.