Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Default Estate Gun Auction today

300 guns plus tons of ammo, reloading stuff, brass, accessories, knifes, swords, etc.. A lot of highly collectable Winchesters, S&W, and Colts. Everything needed to reload for rare and obsolete Winchesters. Quite a few milsurps, this guy had a very good eye.
Stuff I was outbid on by present and internet:
Finn M27s, M39s ($750 range)
Nice Rockola Carbine with WRA/GHD stock
NM Garand
Several 1917s, 03s, SC 03A3
Colt M16 A2 clone
several revolvers
Etc,etc,etc
Mostly stupidity on my part, I like to think too much and I'm slow. Less than 60 seconds per gun.
Biggest one that got away: New Model Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. I've been looking for one for 5 or 6 years since I got my 1st Carbine. The Rockola hurts in hindsight, I'm still stuck on less than a Grand for a Carbine. Internet guy bid it up and I snoozed.

What I won:
Remington 1917
Some 30'06 ammo
Ruger MkII 10" bull barrel w/box and manual

Some Pics to follow
"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN
Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 PM

All in all, that doesn't sound like a bad winning haul. Looking forward to seeing photos. Personally, I think auctions kind of suck and close attention is required so as not to pay too much for something that surely was not the only example ever made.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:47 PM

$880 out the door for these:

Loose mixed head stamp 7.62x51, must be at least 250 to 300 in there.

450 rnds of some foreign 30'06. Any info on these? Corrosive?

And this cool Ammo Can. I've never seen one like this and I really like it.

Oh Yea, they also threw these in with the above lot:

Everybody needs some armor piercing!

This is probably some good stuff?

And a couple more of these, probably ok for plinking I guess?

"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-17-2019 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-16-2019, 08:18 PM

I assume $800 for all the ammo or for everything?

I learned when going to Alderfer auctions in Pennsylvania that I would mark my max next to the print out, then followed along - A couple of times I have gotten excited and bought when I shouldn't, and been outbid by $25 numerous times, but when you say $475 and then %400, $550 it starts to be silly...
Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Here's the 1917, mfg 1918, JA barrel?, nice wood with cool rebuild cartouches, decent bore, MW 2.5. Really cool NoBuckl sling, I've never seen one of these, it's pretty slick and could be period correct. Serial # 510,748 (May 1918?)

$550 out the door

I don't know much about these so any insight is welcome. The one I really wanted went for $935 OTD.

https://imgur.com/a/Btp184X

Last edited by mycanoe44; 02-16-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:26 PM

1917 is a mixmaster --- "R"emington receiver, "W"inchester Nickle steel Bolt, Johnson Automatics barrel (WWII replacement barrel), 2 sets of rebuild stamps on left wrist. "E"ddystone safety, Winchester cocking piece. Very nice Kerr sling... check the barrel for pitting/fouling --- WW1 used corrosive primers...good out the door for $550 --- Kerr sling is $75-$100+. check the muzzle end of the stock for either an "E", "W", "R" for the stock manufacturer. Original finish was blued, arsenal refinish was Parkerizing - notice the barrel in the photo's has a greenish hue similar to other WWII original barrels.

Last edited by AzMedic; 02-16-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:32 PM

Here's the Ruger, $577.50 out the door. Thats pretty much full price, not really a deal, but I collect them. After missing the .30 carbine Blackhawk when the Auctioneer didn't see me bid and said sold!, I said to myself Go*da**it that guy's not getting this one too!!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMedic View Post
1917 is a mixmaster --- "R"emington receiver, "W"inchester Nickle steel Bolt, Johnson Automatics barrel (WWII replacement barrel), 2 sets of rebuild stamps on left wrist. "E"ddystone safety, Winchester cocking piece. Very nice Kerr sling... check the barrel for pitting/fouling --- WW1 used corrosive primers...good out the door for $550 --- Kerr sling is $75-$100+. check the muzzle end of the stock for either an "E", "W", "R" for the stock manufacturer. Original finish was blued, arsenal refinish was Parkerizing - notice the barrel in the photo's has a greenish hue similar to other WWII original barrels.
Bore is a little dark but no pitting and strong lands. There is a W on the end of the stock. I'm pretty happy with it, I think it will be a good shooter and I really like the look of it. The sight picture is better than my 03A3s, Garands and Carbines, or any other of my milsurps. The trigger is sweet also. Can't wait for the deep freeze to end, I've got a bunch of shootin to do!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycanoe44 View Post
The sight picture is better than my 03A3s, Garands and Carbines, or any other of my milsurps.
The 1917 had the best combat sights of all rifles used in WW1... so said Major Julian Hatcher in "Hatcher's Notebook". I think he was spot on.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
The 1917 had the best combat sights of all rifles used in WW1... so said Major Julian Hatcher in "Hatcher's Notebook". I think he was spot on.
And probably the strongest action at the time [which is still up for debate]... Roy Weatherby built a lot of his custom rifles in magnum calibers based off the Remington/Winchester receivers. A Remington Model30 is basically a M1917 in civilian attire...