Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2018, 12:19 PM

Default Feedback on new cases

IMO the new cases and shipping cardboard both are absolute trash.

Issues with the Cardboard
-Not thick enough to protect the case at all, previous green case cardboard was a better quality.

Issues with the Case
-Latches don't stay latched in shipping

-Because of poor case design the ends of the case open allowing the muzzle to protrude out of the case during shipping

-The foam isn't thick enough to keep the rifle from moving around in the case, they know this which is evident by the extra chunks of foam they're using around the receiver and muzzle in an attempt to stabilize things

-It seems the plastic itself is mickey mouse as I had one that the muzzle broke through the case and actually protruded through the cardboard picking up a few dings in the process.

The CMP needs to do a better job protecting the rifles. The new cases might survive a trip to the range, but they're not suitable for shipping. I received some field grade rifles and was upset, I can only imagine my frustration with a nicer rifle shipped in this manner.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Sounds like the old heavy cardboard shipping boxes were better than this.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
Sounds like the old heavy cardboard shipping boxes were better than this.
Yes, they were. The new cases are flimsy.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 PM

Where are they made just out of curiosity?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Banned

Nothing like sending out a $,1000.00 rifle shipped in a case that's supposed to protect it and the first trip out its split and broken before it reaches its first shipped destination.May as well go back to the Cardboard boxes
Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 PM

I had a post or two removed in this thread for something ? Anyone know why ?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Banned

*** COMMENT REMOVED BY STAFF ***

This is tiresome. That's enough of the obsessive, personal vendetta attacks, especially when you do not have, or even try to understand the facts before you post these false accusations and continue to hijack other's threads.

Do not post in this thread again.

Last edited by Big_Red; 08-23-2018 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Purse swinging
Old 08-23-2018, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky52 View Post
Where are they made just out of curiosity?
I will find out that information later today, as well as pass on the concerns posted here and in other threads.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
I had a post or two removed in this thread for something ? Anyone know why ?
Nothing personal...we merely try to keep the Ask CMP threads clean of extraneous postings so that it helps the appropriate parties answer them when they are able to.
Some here, and not you, seem completely unable to grasp that concept, or comprehend forum rules.

As per your own words, "...my own musings" it was simply that they addressed packing/cases that had nothing to do with the OP, as well as answering lucky52's question with the wrong information.

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 08-23-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
..., as well as answering lucky52's question with the wrong information.
I like the way you phrase things.

"Life is Good!"
Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Here is a thought:
CMP, trying to maximize operating efficiency, needs to ship rifles. They have negotiated an extremely low shipping rate, and, faced with the next part of the process, need a packing method. A foam-lined cardboard box has a fixed cost and most likely a good amount of data related to % of items damaged in transit based on CMP's use in the past. They also have used a low end plastic case enclosed in a cardboard box, like today's method, or the prior green case.
Perhaps their ONLY goal is the lowest overall shipping cost, factoring in these 3 items: Cost of shipping (and any associated lowered insurance based on this lowered cost), cost of packaging, and overall damage (which means replacement) rate.
If this method costs the least, yet a few of the plastic cases are damaged/destroyed, that seems like a win. Delivering the customer a plastic case is not the measured goal here.
So far in this and other threads I have seen examples where the shipping caused damage to the case, but I don't recall any damage to the rifle? Many people consider that a "win"; the case did as CMP wanted; took the damage while protecting the contents? And many wind up with a free, low end plastic rifle case as well. Sacrificial packaging is a thing, at least in the business world, oh, DOD, Government, whatever.
To many, the shipping cases are like coat hangers; I'm sure there are threads in the marketplace with people offering to give them away.

Nah, I'm sure they didn't put this kind of thought to shipping.....
JH