Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Is a M1 easy to shoot or what?

My son brought his girlfriend up to Alaska a few weeks ago. The first few days were sunny and warm and to there was a lot of hiking around. The next day was rainy and cool when my son called me said Jess would like to go shooting with a rifle. The only rifle I have is an M1 (Service Grade Special). And Jess's only experience with a firearm was shooting a .22 handgun a few months ago at an indoor range; she never shot a rifle in her life, much less an M1. Well, that made me more than a little nervous but we went out to the range with my M1 some ammo and 4 milk cartons filled with water. I set one carton at about 20 yds while my son, disregarding my suggestion to place the other three at 40, 50 and 60 yds, set one carton at 75 yds, one at 100 yds and one at 120 yd. All 4 carton were set pretty much in a straight line running back to the shooting bench. After being briefed on how the rifle works, how to hold and aim the rifle and how to slowly squeeze the trigger, Jess took her first shot at the 20 yd carton. It went high. She adjusted, her second shot was a direct hit. Without saying a word, she then took aim at the 75 yd carton -1 shot,direct hit, then she took aim at the 100 yd carton- on shot direct hit , and then at the 125 yd-again, one shot another direct one. With no more cartons to shoot, we salvaged one shot-up carton still intact and put a full bottle of water inside of it so we could tell if it was hit. The two of them set off with the shot-up milk carton with the water bottle inside of it, walked past the 100 yd. marker, and planted the carton with the water bottle at the 200 yd mark. Back at the bench, Jess took a single shot at that carton 200 yds away that looked to have hit in the dirt just to the side of the carton. The carton fell over. With only 3 or 4 rounds left, Colin and I shot at some pieces of wood near the 100 yd. mark. Then we walked down to the 200 yd. mark to retrieve the milk carton and water bottle. As Colin picked up the milk carton,out fell the water bottle, with no water and one bullet hole in it. Not bad shooting for somebody who never fired a rifle before!!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Id be hard-pressed to be able to even SEE a milk carton with iron sights at 200 yards!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 PM

You and your Son need to bring Jess to the CMP Games in Oklahoma. We need new young folks in our sport.
Good job, Jess!!!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 PM

I tend to take a few Garands at a time to a redneck range up north, they get peoples attention. And I have no problem letting perfect strangers popping an enbloc off, they all say.......MAN these guns are accurate
Old 08-10-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
I tend to take a few Garands at a time to a redneck range up north, they get peoples attention. And I have no problem letting perfect strangers popping an enbloc off, they all say.......MAN these guns are accurate
Well as accurate as you'd expect a battle rifle to be. Typically 4-6" groups are the norm at 200 yards...off a bench. Anything better and the rifle is exceptional....not typical.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:50 AM

Well,now you should find a old time bolt action Remington or Winchester 30-06.

Those are Alaskan rifles.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:50 AM

Never underestimate a 22lr shooter. The skills are the same just cheaper to shoot so you get more trigger time to develop skill.

Clearly she has learned the skills well! Sounds like a keeper as and woman that shoots is great but an accurate shooter out of the gate is someone you can take to the range and have fun.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Well as accurate as you'd expect a battle rifle to be. Typically 4-6" groups are the norm at 200 yards...off a bench. Anything better and the rifle is exceptional....not typical.
It seems to be a rifle that most people can shoot well with the first time. We put clay pigeons on a hill at 200 yards, one first time M1 guy took a pigeon out with every shot.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
It seems to be a rifle that most people can shoot well with the first time. We put clay pigeons on a hill at 200 yards, one first time M1 guy took a pigeon out with every shot.

Was his name Carlos Hathcock? !WOW! What was the rifle/barrel?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Does she have a sister?