Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali201 View Post
At that price we had to jump on them. I never use 30 rounders but Dupage MADE us buy them!! (I only got 4).
I only got none

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 AM

It has happened before.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 AM

I think some of the "rust spots" on the mags are actually where grease migrated into little pools on the paper. I have only found a couple spots of rust on mine and none correlate with the little dots. I appreciate them being cautious with their assessment, the mags are in better shape than they described.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by xm15e2s View Post
I have a strong feeling that the source of these mags is from the CMP.

No proof, just a feeling.

Is that possible?
There are other sources than CMP. Heck there was a time not so long ago where Uncle Sam sold military surplus items can auction. Could of been sitting in a warehouse for years. I think CMP would of sold them to us with the exception of those living in Communist- "progressive" states.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
If you have round dark spots on the paper you WILL have rust spots on the mag. The two go hand in hand. Not possible to have one without the other. The mark on the paper is caused by rust on the mag. Often the rust is viewable in better lighting.
After close examination with a magnifier, I see that xm was right. Any tiny brown spots on the inside of the paper will correlate to a tiny spot of corrosion.

Easy way to tell is to spray a bit of clp and then rub the magazine with bare fingertips. No way to miss feeling the tiny pits grabbing your skin. The minty parts feel smooth as glass. A moving fingertip can feel texture changes only nanometers in size.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSledge View Post
A moving fingertip can feel texture changes only nanometers in size.
And it took millions and the scanning tunneling microscope to win a Nobel Prize when a fingertip would have worked!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
And it took millions and the scanning tunneling microscope to win a Nobel Prize when a fingertip would have worked!

We can feel what we can't see. How crazy is that?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSledge View Post
After close examination with a magnifier, I see that xm was right. Any tiny brown spots on the inside of the paper will correlate to a tiny spot of corrosion.

Easy way to tell is to spray a bit of clp and then rub the magazine with bare fingertips. No way to miss feeling the tiny pits grabbing your skin. The minty parts feel smooth as glass. A moving fingertip can feel texture changes only nanometers in size.
Yes, and in my examination, the bigger the spot on the paper, the bigger the rust spot on the mag.

Doesnt matter. They clean up very nice. Once the rust is removed, a simple pit is nothing!

BEAUTIFUL MAGS!

I can just picture some Rosie the riveter lady busting her ****** folding each one of those paper wrappers. If she only knew where they would end up 72 years in the future..............

Last edited by xm15e2s; 08-18-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I can just picture some Rosie the riveter lady busting her ****** folding each one of those paper wrappers. If she only knew where they would end up 72 years in the future..............
I was wondering about year of manufacture. I've read 44-46...So you're saying 1944? When did they quit hardback in favor of split back?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:29 PM

I got 6 and all in mint condition. I used WD 40 and they all cleaned up very nicely. I then used CLP for storage. (No rust spots at all on them). Big Thanks to Dupage for the great offer on such rare Magazines.