Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Ok, well if you feel the match is poorly run or too expensive, don't go.
I'm sure there are other matches in your area you could attend.
I think the CMP puts on great matches. I plan on attending this one.
However from an outsider prospective, for what this match is, seems a bit on the overpriced side. I voiced my opinion with hope that maybe someone reads these concerns, and take note.
With waning participation in the Highpower sport every detail should be considered to maintain and grow the sport.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:43 PM

Herbes:
For sure....
But just so you know, I looked around and found the following in the CMP reports:

"In the years of 2008-20017 match revenue was approximately 9.2 Million dollars but the expenses for that same time frame exceeded revenue by 85.8 Million dollars."

So they have been and continue to heavily subsidize (or take a loss on) these marksmanship matches with the goal of their stated mission...
Old 02-13-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Herbes:
For sure....
But just so you know, I looked around and found the following in the CMP reports:

"In the years of 2008-20017 match revenue was approximately 9.2 Million dollars but the expenses for that same time frame exceeded revenue by 85.8 Million dollars."

So they have been and continue to heavily subsidize (or take a loss on) these marksmanship matches with the goal of their stated mission...
I know they have to make money to stay alive.Rifle sales keep the organization a float. When those disappear, who knows what will happen. That's why they need to attract more people now. The unattractive match fee might have actually swayed a potential "lifer" from even trying out CMP competition. I know the CMP focused on JRs. But I think the real market is people in their late 20s and people over 50.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I know they have to make money to stay alive.Rifle sales keep the organization a float. When those disappear, who knows what will happen. That's why they need to attract more people now. The unattractive match fee might have actually swayed a potential "lifer" from even trying out CMP competition. I know the CMP focused on JRs. But I think the real market is people in their late 20s and people over 50.

(1) Match fees will go up. The Games haven't so much as "gone up" as you get less for the money. $40 for a match, ammunition, and a t-shirt vs $40 for just the match now. Not sure about the t-shirt, anymore.

(2) They'll use the endowment. They have about a quarter of a billion dollars, as of the last tax filing.

They were given a monopoly on surplus rifle sales to build an endowment to support the chartered mission. Orest used to talk about a pared-down organization post rifle sales. I guess Johnson is going in a different direction. Different direction as far as interactions with competitors go, too.....

Last edited by missilegeek; 02-14-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute. The CMP doesn't come close to breaking even but you want them to decrease match fees in order to attract more attendees? You can't possibly increase attendance to the point where they will ever be able to come close to breaking even. Expenses also go up when there is a marked increase in participation.

I believe the match in question uses the electoronic targets so shooters don't have to pull targets and scorers have a much easier job. That's certainly worth something.

$40 per match isn't that much money. I spend a lot more money on just about everything else associated with participating in a match (e.g., fuel, meals, ammo, etc.).
Old 02-14-2020, 04:16 PM

OP:
I'm with you on trying to increase participation in our sport.
I don't think dropping the entry fees would help that.
If I understand it correctly, the NRA left the Camp Perry National Matches to the CMP because they were losing so much money over it.
If I understand it correctly, one of the main reasons the CMP allowed optics on rifles
and essentially any pistol into competition was to get more shooters involved.

I'm with Rick here, they'd simply lose more money for little to no gain.....
Old 02-14-2020, 04:36 PM

Each their own I suppose. I still find the particular match in question, overpriced. The cost of the national matches is easily justified.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Each their own I suppose. I still find the particular match in question, overpriced. The cost of the national matches is easily justified.
Sir:
I'm not "throwing stones" at you or anything.
I want the CMP to continue to succeed and even expand, just like you.
When I started shooting SR, I recall 15-20.00 was the norm.

FWIW I live in Colorado and to go skiing, the lift ticket alone will run you around 70.00, plus rentals, plus getting yourself up there and food.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:

FWIW I live in Colorado and to go skiing, the lift ticket alone will run you around 70.00, plus rentals, plus getting yourself up there and food.
Yep, by comparison to skiing, golf, boating, flying, etc., shooting competition is pretty darn cheap.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:50 AM

Until you figure in 2 kids yourself and 3 matches a piece you can talk yourself out of it fairly quickly. Last two years I kick myself weeks later for not paying the $ for travel games but at the time seemed like the thing to do. I ended up just compromising and signing everyone up for safs and calling it a day but feeling like I cheated myself a month down the road. Hay if you can’t pay you can’t play just the facts of life.