Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2020, 03:49 PM

Default Looking for 1903 USMC (style) Iron Sight Set

I'm sort of passively looking for a USMC sight set for a 1903 I'm turning into an A1 "Sniper" rifle.

Does anyone know a decent source for reproductions or originals? I'm hoping they'll be easier to use than the multi-peeped sights.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM

I believe a fellow named Bill Bentz makes repros of the "USMC" type sights. I believe another fellow named Dan Stone does as well. Dan was in IL, not sure where Bill is out of.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Unhappy usmc 03 sights

Bill Bentz is in S/E Pa. He should be ez to find on Googgle.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:18 PM

The "USMC" sights do making target shooting with a 1903 a whole lot nicer. If you intend to use the iron sights, Bill Bentz is the man to contact.

BUT...if you're only buying them to put on a sniper clone...the real USMC sniper rifles didn't have them. You'd be spending $100 for sights you won't use on a sniper replica to replicate a feature the real rifles didn't have.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:33 AM

Good to know.

I suppose I'll consider putting them on my other 03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
The "USMC" sights do making target shooting with a 1903 a whole lot nicer. If you intend to use the iron sights, Bill Bentz is the man to contact.

BUT...if you're only buying them to put on a sniper clone...the real USMC sniper rifles didn't have them. You'd be spending $100 for sights you won't use on a sniper replica to replicate a feature the real rifles didn't have.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:00 AM

FYI, the original M1903/Unertl USMC sniper rifles did not use the No. 10 sights. They were largely replaced with the standard No. 6 sight by the mid-1930s. The Marines found that while they were good for combat when aiming at a person, accuracy at the range was decreased with the wider sight. The references to the No. 10 sights in some books is inaccurate. Maybe cplnorton can chime in, he’s a plethora of information. Or check out Tim Plowman’s website: www.usmcweaponry.com he’s got many pictures of authentic snipers.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:18 AM

Yeah as Neil already stated, the real snipers didn't use them.

They first show up with #10 sights in Brophy's book and everyone started to copy that.

The Marine snipers were all NM team rifles. The team rifles never used the #10 sights because they make target shooting a lot harder as Neil said.

The actual real sights were usually a #6. But there is some shooter preference in their too. I'm pretty certain I have order forms for the teams requesting #5's and I think #7's too. I would have to go back and pull the document to be sure.

The official Marine Corps did replace the #10 with the #6 in 1936. After 1936 the #10 sights just show up in storage in counts at the Philly Depot.

The Marine teams actually would use custom drifts and front sight blades to zero the rifle to the shooter, without making any adjustments to the rear sight.

So a lot of real snipers will show a little tweaking done to them.

Tim's website of the www.usmcweaponary.com is excellent for showing real rifles. The books on these rifles are very much outdated. Tim's website is excellent.

Also I was bored one night and took a video of my one Unertl Sniper. I talk about the sights used on them some in the video. I didn't really prepare for it, I just grabbed a rifle and hit record and started to talk. But you might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ma0FyrKCDo
Old 02-14-2020, 11:41 AM

PM sent regarding an undercut USMC style front sight.

https://imgur.com/a/AeWGfDo

Last edited by TW56; 02-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.