Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2020, 01:40 PM

Default Winchester Use of Dulite on Late Slides

There is a young man looking for a type 4 or 5 Winchester slide with a dulite finish. I was about to tell him, "they did not make them." since the late slides I remembered, were of a medium gray Zinc finish to turning brown, typical. But before I posted they were not made, I went to look at a few late Winchester carbines I had hanging on the wall. There seemed to be a few slides with a darker finish on some 6.5 Winchesters. I thought that was "strange" so I looked in my Winchester Slide, box-o-parts. I did not find a type 5 with a dark finish. Of the type 4 slides I have, there seemed to be about a quarter with a real dark finish. There was one which had been refinished showing a small bead blasting. But there were several others that were not gray and much darker and not refinished.
Possible it was the dark phosphate parkerizing but I don't think so.
Now if he wants the "shinny blued" finish, there maybe a Bavarian refinished slide that will work for him.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:13 PM

Yep , I saw the WTB add asking for a type 4 or 5 slide with a dulite finish also . I have never seen one . I don't know if Bryan Q is still around on this Forum , but if I just had to know for my own education , I would bank on his thoughts . Bob
Old 02-14-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
There is a young man looking for a type 4 or 5 Winchester slide with a dulite finish. I was about to tell him, "they did not make them." since the late slides I remembered, were of a medium gray Zinc finish to turning brown, typical. But before I posted they were not made, I went to look at a few late Winchester carbines I had hanging on the wall. There seemed to be a few slides with a darker finish on some 6.5 Winchesters. I thought that was "strange" so I looked in my Winchester Slide, box-o-parts. I did not find a type 5 with a dark finish. Of the type 4 slides I have, there seemed to be about a quarter with a real dark finish. There was one which had been refinished showing a small bead blasting. But there were several others that were not gray and much darker and not refinished.
Possible it was the dark phosphate parkerizing but I don't think so.
Now if he wants the "shinny blued" finish, there maybe a Bavarian refinished slide that will work for him.
I have a Type 4 Winchester slide that has a very dark grey or black finish that appears original. Itís for sale on this forum !

Last edited by gap; 02-14-2020 at 07:34 AM.