Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2020, 06:24 PM
BillySteph BillySteph is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Market, Alabama
Posts: 87
Default Couple of questions, Winchester from South Store.

Here is some pictures of an awesome find today for me. Many thanks to Tom! I think he answered the questions this morning with out me having to ask but my memory is horrible. From my research this receiver (serial # 101155) is in the first 655 rifles that were for issue and not research!!! It has lock bar sights on it (awesome) but did they use lock bar on that early? Also, the AN on my stock I realize is from the Anniston Armory but I read that there is usually a number or another letter after the AN. Also, the P without the circle indicates rebuild correct? Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/ik583kx

Last edited by BillySteph; 02-13-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2020, 06:55 PM
rob30-06 rob30-06 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,949
Default

First obvious response is an Anniston rebuild mark on the stock.

good score, wish I had been there,
Rob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2020, 07:12 PM
PH68 PH68 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Anniston Alabama
Posts: 851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillySteph View Post
Here is some pictures of an awesome find today for me. Many thanks to Tom! I think he answered the questions this morning with out me having to ask but my memory is horrible. From my research this receiver (serial # 101155) is in the first 655 rifles that were for issue and not research!!! It has lock bar sights on it (awesome) but did they use lock bar on that early? Also, the AN on my stock I realize is from the Anniston Armory but I read that there is usually a number or another letter after the AN. Also, the P without the circle indicates rebuild correct? Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/ik583kx

The AN is for (AN)niston Army Deport, early years it was Anniston Ordnance Deport (1941-1962) it has also used AAA and A4 as rebuild stamp. The lock bar sights are an early type sight but donít think itís original to your rifle, there have been a pretty good number of these showing up recently. And it would have been release as you indicate around the 655 WRA release for service after the educational rifle ...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Shomway Shomway is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,408
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

Neat find, congrats!!
If you decide you want to restore it, there is a correct stock(I think) for it listed here...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=stock
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:12 PM
Det. Jason 714 Det. Jason 714 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 6,711
Default

Very cool score. Lock bar on a WRA and early one to boot. Can't tell from pics are they SA lock bars or WRA? Either way very cool and great USGI stock on top of it. Now we are gonna need break down of parts and such, because we here get into the minute details of everything.
__________________
"Let Freedom PING!"
Over 70 plus Positive feedbacks before removal of Itrader.
RIP Itrader 2/24/14 you are not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 PM
BillySteph BillySteph is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Market, Alabama
Posts: 87
Default

Sweet merciful Lord, now why does that one possibly bring the 3k number? Because it is so early and that particular armorers cartouche?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Neat find, congrats!!
If you decide you want to restore it, there is a correct stock(I think) for it listed here...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=stock
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 PM
7,62x51mm 7,62x51mm is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA Illinois
Posts: 1,696
Default

Can you tell if the receiver has the anneal color ?


Could someone explain the first five hundred were for research ? were they not issued ?

Your Winchester is serial number 1155
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2020, 03:34 AM
BillySteph BillySteph is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Market, Alabama
Posts: 87
Default

It does have that anneal color. If I can get my hands on a better camera I will get better pics.





Quote:
Originally Posted by 7,62x51mm View Post
Can you tell if the receiver has the anneal color ?


Could someone explain the first five hundred were for research ? were they not issued ?

Your Winchester is serial number 1155
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:25 AM
1563621 1563621 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,664
Default

Fantastic pick up!!! What barrel is on it? Need better pics PLEASE!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 AM
BillySteph BillySteph is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: New Market, Alabama
Posts: 87
Default

I will see if my wifeís iPhone X can do any better pics. The barrel is 54í LMR.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
Fantastic pick up!!! What barrel is on it? Need better pics PLEASE!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.