X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bennett8
    • Oct 2009

Shooting my USMC 40-X

Since no one on the forum wanted to buy the rifle I decided to take it out to my farm this weekend for a work out. My bench and rest are definitely less than ideal but I slapped a 10 X Fecker scope on it and I think it shot pretty well at 50 yards. Guess I don’t mind keeping it! https://imgur.com/a/hs0ER3G
  • gaterbaitii
    • Feb 2012

One of these days I’ll get a USMC 40X
    Retired Air Force 1998-2019

Feedback Link:
    https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...ht=Gaterbaitii

Comment

• 4th_AD_son
      • Oct 2009

I have two...saving one for each of my grandsons.

Comment

• Doubs43
        • Oct 2011

Nice looking rifle and scope. I'd love to have both.

How did you shoot it; prone, bench or...? What conditions? Wind, etc.

Comment

• navyrifleman
          • Oct 2009

Nice rifle and good groups. What year was your rifle made? Great scope too.

Comment

• nate
            • Feb 2010

Having a 40X to shoot effects your whole rifle owning/shooting scheme. Every time I see some new model of rifle that claims to be the greatest I say that looks interesting then I say what would I do with that, I have a 40X. They are great to have around.

Comment

• gaterbaitii
              • Feb 2012

40x’s are pretty nice rifles. I have 2 as well. I’ve only shot 1 as the other I have (Navy SATU) trainer I have not.

I recently acquired a very nice commercial Win 52C and found a Canjar trigger for it on eBay. I want to put them through their paces and compare the accuracy of each.
              Retired Air Force 1998-2019

Feedback Link:
              https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread...ht=Gaterbaitii

Comment

• Super Duty-KTP
                • Oct 2009

Still looking for a trigger guard for mine; a 4-digit.
                Has a pretty well figured stock for a Military rifle.
                WMC.
                NRA Life/Benefactor

Comment

• TW56
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Super Duty-KTP View Post
                  Still looking for a trigger guard for mine; a 4-digit.
                  Has a pretty well figured stock for a Military rifle.
                  WMC.
                  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/719850
                  Feedback thread;
                  http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....highlight=TW56

Comment

• schutzen
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by navyrifleman View Post
                    Nice rifle and good groups. What year was your rifle made? Great scope too.
                    I don't know for sure the years USMC 40Xs were made but every one I have seen was manufactured in 1958. I think the barrel codes were all the same. Please don't flame me if I'm wrong, just tell me politely. Wayne

Comment

• EvansvilleIHC
                      • Jun 2010

I guess you can't upload pics from computer to a reply? Anyway, I shoot my 40X HB, CMP gun, in 22 BR once a week. It shoots lights out once you find the right ammo. My high score on a US target is 2175-9X which was the high score that day. I was shooting off an old $150 Sinclair rest. Rest of the guys were up class with about $4K in their rests and rifles. I have shot a 249 on the UK target. I can't seem to get to 250. Scope was T36 but now I'm shooting a Night Force Comp, 42X which costs about seven times what the rifle cost me. It is good glass though. )))) I removed the blocks on the rifle and put cheap Weaver bases on it, Signature Zee rings. I do buy Eley Match and test several lots. If you don't shoot high-quality ammo and test lots, you'll never get the best results out of your rifle. I also have a Model 52D from the CMP. It probably shoots as well as the 40X. However, I don't want to drill it so I'm using an EGW mount which utilizes existing holes. The problem is my scope won't set far enough back so I'm leaning way into the rifle.

If you really want to see how well your rifle shoots, buy some good ammo and use the 22 BR targets.

BTW, I occasionally shoot a 200 yard "F" class match, 22 RF on the 600 yard F class target. I can consistently shoot 585-590 out of 600 which doesn't appear to tough until you figure in the wind on our 600 yard range. That is a LOT of funl Especially if you're n the pits. No noise, just the sound of the backer.

And if you really want to have some fun, shoot a mini-palma course with the reduced targets and the iron sights that came with your rifle. Just don't do it on a hot day.

Have fun!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Super Duty-KTP
                        • Oct 2009

I ordered it right after you posted this as it indicated they had it in stock.
                        CC shows paid for, yet not shipped. Called them and they said it's not in stock, and haven't had them for a long time. Furthermore, don't know when or if it will be.
                        Asked them to credit me, and correct the listing.
                        Neither has happened.
                        WMC.
                        NRA Life/Benefactor

Comment

• TOMMYT654
                          • Apr 2013

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838827329

Comment

• Range Master
                            • Nov 2015

Have US Property marked 40x, and cannot get it to settle down, using black box eley. Barrel tuners in, touching, pressure, and backed off. Randolph rest, gator back bag, weaver t36. So equipment is there. A little help here please.

Comment

• GrampawEd
                              • Oct 2009

Had the same problem. Finally had the pillar bedding job done. Great shooter. Really likes the Tenex we got from CMP years ago. Wish I had gotten more.

Comment

Working...
                              X