Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Default M1 Carbine - Apparently of no interest as a collectible

Did anyone else catch this yesterday?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa..._time_full.pdf

On page 7:

Eliminate restrictions that force the ATF to authorize importation of dangerous
weapons simply because of their age: ATF is required to authorize the importation of
certain “curio or relic” firearms, and outdated regulations include all firearms manufactured more
than 50 years ago in the definition of “curio or relic.” But today, firearms manufactured more than
50 years ago include large numbers of semiautomatic military-surplus rifles, some of which are
easily convertible into machine guns or otherwise appealing for use in crime. Congress should
get rid of restrictions that prevent ATF from changing this definition, enabling ATF to ensure
that firearms imported as curios or relics are actually of interest as collectibles, rather than letting
these rules be used as a way to acquire fully functional and powerful military weapons.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM

"enabling ATF to ensure that firearms imported as curios or relics are actually of interest as collectibles".

Sounds more than a little ambiguous to me. I never thought we would see all those Kor-ean returns anyway (sorry for using the "K" word).

Any future .30 caliber USGI firearms returned to the U.S. Army would hopefully still be available if they are transferred by the Army to the CMP since they were "returned" to the military and not "imported" for sale to the public.

But who knows? Might as well add to all the speculations on how things will pan out.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 PM

Guys, I usually don't comment on some of these topics but...

We on this board think of military surplus rifles in terms of M-1 Garands and Carbines... I actually think that the cited "comments" are aimed at primarily at SKS's and AK's... Think about it for a second. Alot of us are willing to pay over $1,000 for a half-way collectable carbine with specific manufacture marked parts. Not many people are willing to pay close to that for any SKS - at least not before two weeks ago....

Just my two cents...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Retired View Post

We on this board think of military surplus rifles in terms of M-1 Garands and Carbines... I actually think that the cited "comments" are aimed at primarily at SKS's and AK's... Think about it for a second. Alot of us are willing to pay over $1,000 for a half-way collectable carbine with specific manufacture marked parts. Not many people are willing to pay close to that for any SKS - at least not before two weeks ago....

Just my two cents...
Two cents well spent. You are right on the mark.

I naturally thought of the USGI returns. Obvious now what they were aiming at, no pun intended.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Retired View Post

Just my two cents...
You are flat out wrong.

AK's are NFA firearms and cannot be imported under current law. No change required.

The ATF has urged the U.S. State Department to block importations of USGI carbines on the basis that they have great criminal appeal and can easily be converted to select fire.

Your interest in collecting carbines is being marginalized for political purposes. Doesn't that bother you?

Congress specifically denied the ATF discretion to remove items from the C&R list to prevent this kind of politically motivated meddling.

Am I really hearing that you don't care if this changes as long as the CMP bails you out or it is only applied to SKS rifles and your precious carbines are left alone? I hope not.

Last edited by 7.62 Nitro Express; 01-17-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Nitro Express View Post
Y
Am I really hearing that you don't care if this changes as long as the CMP bails you out or it is only applied to SKS rifles and your precious carbines are left alone? I hope not.
I assumed on the M1 Carbine forum we were talking specifically about M1 Carbines with the OP's question.

My carbines actually are precious, but I'm still concerned for your guns as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM

Doesn't the evil AR15 turn 50 this year?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM

The dems have done their homework this time and have been referring to the M1 Carbine as "easily converted to fully automatic" for years now. Don't be fooled, they will not stop trying to ban all guns and if they get their way, the last thing to go will probably be the muskets.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplexus View Post
Doesn't the evil AR15 turn 50 this year?
Actually they AR15 design first came out in 1957, IIRC. By 1961/1962 the model 601 was being tested in Vietnam by ARPA as part of Project AGILE.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Most and/or many semis are convertible in some way. Many striker fired handguns too. Whose to say what's "easy" or not. And lets not forget about those slide, bump fire stocks.

But none of that really matters. Bad and sick people, with limited ammo and firearms with lower rates of fire, will just naturally adjust their effective rate of fire and not spray and pray as much.

The whole argument of "its worth it if saves just one life" misses the point. Even a 100 year old 1892 lever can dish out just as much harm.