Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 AM

Default Lee 312-160 in Garand

Does anyone use this bullet in their Garand? What results did you get? Thinking about using this with a gas check and powder coating to get a little more velocity than 2400 fps. Works good in the AK so wanted to possible use the same mold. Search came up nada
Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Guess you will have to be the pioneer. What is the as cast diameter?

Generally cast bullets are not loaded for high velocity.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 AM

Getting .312 as cast with first 2 cavity mold, and .313 with second six cavity mold, but as I have real powder coating equipment and plan on using it I'm looking at .313 or .314 before sizing possibly doing that in two steps first to .312 then to .310 have bullet sizing dies made long ago from .308 to .314so set in that dept. Also, have been considering a dedicated powder coat style cast bullet for the ought-six in the Garand and 7.62 NATOfor the HK 91 from NOE. Any help or opinions will be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 AM

I have used it in M1s, gas checked with around 34grs of 4895. Accuracy was about the same as M2 Ball at 100yds. Function was 100% I wouldn't fuss about exact diameters, as the bullet will easily conform to bore diameter. I have found gas checks in the snow at various distances on the way to the target leading me to believe this may explain occasional fliers. Good Shooting. ...
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

My only concern about bullet diameter would be that at some point, the rounds wouldn't fit in the chamber.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 AM

The neck/throat of issue barrels is quite generous. I have never seen problems with slightly oversize bullets. Easily tested using a fired case. A Lyman "M" die is almost a necessity for cast bullet loading. Good Shooting. ..
Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 AM

I have used my Lyman 311041, paper patched, with both 4895 and 4064, mimicing jacketed bullet performance in my Garand.............PP tho requires single loading as the PJ is quite likely to be damaged otherwise. That same bullet, cast from straight wheelweights using GC alone and lubed with Javelina brand alox performed very acceptably with minimal lead wash. The latter was not loaded to anywhere near the same levels as the PP rounds.

Performance wise, the PP lead bullet matched ball ammo in terms of velocity and general accuracy from my rifle.

Cast bullets can work well alone if you don't push 'em too fast.........In my opinion shading 2400 is kinda out of the question......but I also load that same bullet GC alone in an antique M/94 of mine that chrono's right at 2150 with only lead wash.