Got to handle two Winchester M14 rifles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tazaroo
    • Oct 2009

Got to handle two Winchester M14 rifles.

I was able to handle two select fire Winchester M14 rifles a few days ago. These were on loan from another agency to ours for drill purposes. I didn't bother taking nor did I have the time to take pictures beyond the receiver heels. Physically speaking they were just plain Winnie M14's with the selector lock in place with fiberglass stocks. I did get to check out the barrel markings. The 1158509 had the original Winchester barrel dated 6-63 but the 166571 had no visible barrel markings with the op rod pulled back. The bores looked real great on these as well. I really wanted to take home with me the one with the original barrel but I really like my job.

Last edited by tazaroo; 02-05-2019, 09:10 PM.
  • nf1e
    • Apr 2012

Awesome, not just because of the connection to CT, but they have been on the top of my list since Viet Nam.
    Semper Fi
    Art
    Sgt USMC 66 -72
    RVN 67-68

Comment

• cav_cdr
      • Nov 2010

Very cool. Would be neat to have the opportunity to fire them.

Comment

• Old Guard
        • Apr 2013

M-14 eye candy

Interesting, I had not seen one of these since boot camp at Polk. One of the last rifle companies to use them there for training.

Comment

• stripper clip
          • Nov 2010

Good looking rifles there. Thanks for posting. Were you able to get a look at the bolts, rear sights or any other marked part to see if the rifles are mixmasters or all Winchester?

Comment

• YahooMarine
            • Oct 2009

The county I was a teacher in has three Marine JROTC programs. When they needed help I would sub. These programs had demilled M14 - plugged barrels, weld on the bolt face and a tack weld on the barrel/receiver - rifles until about 2012 when they were replaced with nice M1903 repros.

Each school had a block walled armory with a hefty steel door. Inside each was about 20 M14s of all makes. The students learned how to drill etc with them but also used them for spinning practice. It was tough to watch them drop or slam them into the ground, sidewalks etc. Most had damaged sights, flash hiders and severely beaten stocks.

The students were also allowed to strip, disassemble and work on them as they wished during study halls. They became experts at field stripping and had contests during classes!

As tempted as I was I never borrowed or swapped a part. No doubt there were complete usable parts kits for each manufacturer.

Anyway, I had the chance to handle many of them and it was a real treat to look them over. It broke my heart when they were shipped away.

After all were gone I collected up the locker floor sweepings which included two horribly cracked fiberglass stocks and one birch that a student had thoroughly sanded and varnished before giving it to me. Nice thought but too much wood removed to be usable. Still have it.

Rich
            Licensed Professional Engineer, Physics Teacher, Marine Corps Martial Arts Blackbelt and Subject Matter Expert

Comment

• tazaroo
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by stripper clip View Post
              Good looking rifles there. Thanks for posting. Were you able to get a look at the bolts, rear sights or any other marked part to see if the rifles are mixmasters or all Winchester?
              The bolts are WRA bolts but are pulled from the rifles and kept separately. Didn't look at anything else........sorry.

Comment

• Old School Rifleman
                • Oct 2009

When I was a young patrol officer, I assisted our armorer with inspecting and inventorying an incoming batch of 300 M-16 rifles from another agency. In exchange for my efforts over a whole week, I got to select one as my patrol rifle. I got a Hydramatic and it went into my patrol car trunk. About a year later, we were told to get rid of the six M-14 rifles that we still had but I was able to snag one by declaring myself a competitive shooter representing the agency. I got an H&R M-14 and took it to Camp Perry twice, shooting the President's 100 during Rifle Week. I had to travel on my own dime but it was worth it. Otherwise, it lived in my car trunk next to the Hydramatic.

Sadly I got hurt and was off for a while healing up, and they took the weapons back from me. When I returned to full duty a few years later the Hydramatic had been sent out for destruction as obsolete/unserviceable (because the new overlords wanted all of the full-auto M-16's gone) and the M-14 was turned over to the Department of Defense as they were trying to acquire as many as they could for service in Iraq/Afghanistan. I never saw either of them again.

Comment

• tazaroo
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Old School Rifleman View Post
                  When I was a young patrol officer, I assisted our armorer with inspecting and inventorying an incoming batch of 300 M-16 rifles from another agency. In exchange for my efforts over a whole week, I got to select one as my patrol rifle. I got a Hydramatic and it went into my patrol car trunk. About a year later, we were told to get rid of the six M-14 rifles that we still had but I was able to snag one by declaring myself a competitive shooter representing the agency. I got an H&R M-14 and took it to Camp Perry twice, shooting the President's 100 during Rifle Week. I had to travel on my own dime but it was worth it. Otherwise, it lived in my car trunk next to the Hydramatic.

Sadly I got hurt and was off for a while healing up, and they took the weapons back from me. When I returned to full duty a few years later the Hydramatic had been sent out for destruction as obsolete/unserviceable (because the new overlords wanted all of the full-auto M-16's gone) and the M-14 was turned over to the Department of Defense as they were trying to acquire as many as they could for service in Iraq/Afghanistan. I never saw either of them again.
                  Not to derail my own thread but a Hydra-Matic like mine?

Comment

Working...
                  X