Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2015, 02:05 PM

Hey Mark, yes good to meet with you too. Hope you can come out and play on 10/31, we are doing it again at Pendleton.
When you saw "whithin the rules" do you mean that the rules don't address shimming and therefore its OK or do you mean that its not legal?
I don't have any shimming work done on mine, but its just good to be specific and know.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM

Jeremy, I hear that shimming is a "no go" rule-wise. At present, my rifle is shooting better than l can. That's without shims; so I felt no need to press it. It would be interesting to get an official call though.
Sorry to say I won't be able to play 10/31...getting some cataract repairs. I hope to be back at Pendleton for November's GSM....hope to see you there, then.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM

My 2%:
In reading the rule book it states that:
5.2.2 bullet pt 4:

"Rifles must be standard production or as-issued rifles with no special accurizing or match-conditioning."

Shimming is considered a match conditioning step.......... So No.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:09 AM

A little return from the dead.

Im just getting into the M1a .
The rules are very confusing even still.
They need to define what special is. There is nothing special about shims. Now IDK for sure if US armorers used shims in repairs or not on tbe M14.
Now as for accuracy gains , i guess you could call shims "match conditioning "
The rules can be funny. As i wait my smith to finish up my GI parts kit. He informed me he will shim mine for proper timing of gas cylinder lock up. Thats about the only "accurizing " this will see other than a new barrel , receiver,bolt and a trigger job, trigger will be smoothed up and a pull of around -5lbs .
Other than that its only going to be the shims in question. I will only be at local match where rules are loose and participation is priority. If i make it to VT or the nationals where its a problem i will comply.
Im just curious if my new rifle makes weight.
The parts kit in the box with barrel and reciever in fhere felt heavy.