Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2021, 03:58 PM

Default Auction Site Disparity Of: R&R and Ithaca???

Any conjecture why R&R and Ithaca are under represented as to actual production numbers??

Search of the Auction site "completed sales" reveals high numbers of Union Switch and Colt. The fewest are Ithaca and R&R.

What Gives???
Old 01-26-2021, 04:32 PM

I would think that there are fewer R&R and Ithaca pistols that would standout as noteworthy to collectors from the thousands of their brethren.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 PM

Union Switch & Signal and Colt are more collectable so they go to auction more. R & R and Ithaca are more common and go out those who have their random number come up. I would expect that R & R would have the lowest number of auction pistols.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:28 PM

I was hoping that some theories would emerge relating to war losses, military assistance transfers, Capt Crunch, DCM sales or what other events may have reduced the surviving populations of Ithaca and R&R pistols. Surely any correct 1911A1 discovered from storage is worthy of auction regardless of manufacture. Perhaps the ubiquitous mix master is a valid explanation for the scarcity of Ithaca and R&R pistols.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by guncotton; 01-27-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:02 PM

Any such theories would be merely SWAGs. Always remember Occam's Razor. The simplest solution/answer is usually the correct solution/answer.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
Any such theories would be merely SWAGs. Always remember Occam's Razor. The simplest solution/answer is usually the correct solution/answer.
Exactly!
I would expect the proportions between manufacturers over the 100k CMP may get will be pretty close to the manufactured proportions. No reason it should be different.
Unless something significant happened, which we would know about, such as a ship carrying tens of thousands of one manufacturer was sunk, etc.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-27-2021, 09:16 PM

Default Rare very plenty more made:

Guncotton:
Watching these auctions you kind of get a sense of what they’re selling and what they’re selling on the auctions are the very rare or the pistols that have the least amount of handling and are close to original.
With union switch and signal making right around 55,000 of these that makes these the most rare next to the singer of a 1911 A1 pistol made.

On the Colts that we’re seeing on the auction most of them were made at 39, 40, and 41 and a handful of them coming in on 42 born on date these again are on the rare side and very limited amounts were made up to but kind of ending in 42 and then production stepped up.
Also with the colt these pistols are rare because they’re originally in Blued not Parkerized so if they sell them in a blued state their original again bring in more money.
I also believe the post that were post to be for me above a lot of their answers ring true and are credible and I agree.
Finally with Remington rand making right over 877,000 1911s that put them at the highest production rate
secondly if you do research on the Ithaca 1911’s they were the most poorly made pistols even thou they only made 334,00 still on the rare side Their collector value hasn’t come up as high as a union switch and signal and the prewar colts,
I hope this helps you I’m not a 1911 expert but I have collected a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncotton View Post
Any conjecture why R&R and Ithaca are under represented as to actual production numbers??

Search of the Auction site "completed sales" reveals high numbers of Union Switch and Colt. The fewest are Ithaca and R&R.

What Gives???

33+ transactions, 100% Positive Itrader rating,
My feedback
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ght=apprentice

Last edited by The Apprentice; 01-27-2021 at 09:20 PM.