• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjtorborg
    • May 2010

GRRC Military Rifle Match Format for Next Year

Hey Guys,

Looks like I got another four dates for CMP Military matches next year. They are not on the same dates as last year but pretty close. Here they are:
    April 20th
    May 11th
    June 15th
    July 6th

I think we can all agree that running two matches and a vintage sniper match in one day is a little much. For next year I would like to cut it down to just two matches a day. So that could be either two military matches or one military match and a vintage sniper each day. Or on two of the days we could run two military matches and on two of the days have one of each. What do you guys think?

Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks,

Tom
  • Polaris
    • Mar 2012

I would like the one of each match format. Perhaps an informal practice stage after the 2 if time, weather and interest permits where shooters could have a 10 minute stage of spotted shots up to 15 rounds to work on weaknesses exposed during the match?

Maybe have one match date with 2 AI matches and one with 2 (3?) sniper matches? They do go pretty fast. Only problem might be getting enough snipers for a sniper only day.

strictly FWIW, you're the boss

Comment

• Brinks352
      • Oct 2011

Can't wait. I had a blast at the CMP clinic this year but do to work was unable to make the other matches, hopefully this year I can make them all. Will be fun shooting the 6mil
      Looking for: S/N 352, S/N 211984, S/N 2011984

Feedback link
      http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131438

Comment

• Joop
        • Jun 2011

I hope you can draw more teams for the sniper match. If not, I can see maybe only having one vintage sniper match on two of the four dates. It was great to see the large turnout for the vintage service rifle matches, this year. Hopefully, we can "convert" some more of them to snipers, as well.
        Last edited by Joop; 12-04-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• dronning
          • Nov 2011

Tom, on the 2013 MN Highpower schedule the May & July dates are different than were posted above.

April 20th
          May 4th
          June 15th
          July 20th

http://www.mrra.org/hipower.htm

Comment

• tjtorborg
            • May 2010

Originally posted by dronning View Post
            Tom, on the 2013 MN Highpower schedule the May & July dates are different than were posted above.

April 20th
            May 4th
            June 15th
            July 20th

http://www.mrra.org/hipower.htm
            Thanks for the heads up on the date conflict. The MRRA dates where based on a first pass of the schedule and the dates I originally quoted are correct. If they change I will post it for sure. After talking it over with Kurt (Highpower Chair) we are thinking the best would be the following:
            April 20th - Two Military Rifle Matches
            May 11th - One Military Rifle and One Sniper Match
            June 15th - Two Military Rifle Matches
            July 6th - One Military Rifle and One Sniper Match
            By the way one of our participants, Kurt Moline, finished second in the Garand match at Camp Perry, Ohio last year. He is a Minnesota Service Rifle Team Member and will probably be at the GRRC matches in 2013. He is a great guy and is always willing to lend a hand and a great source for advice.

Stay tuned for further information!

Tom

Comment

• dronning
              • Nov 2011

Tom, I like the proposed formats. I am really looking forward to these matches and I just picked up a 1903A4 for the sniper matches.
              How does it work when there are 2 Rifle matches and you shoot a M1 in the first match and a 1903A3 in the second match. Does CMP still consider the second match to be a re-entry match?
              I got the Bronse and Silver Garand badges at GRRC shoots last year - need that Gold one!

Dave
              Last edited by dronning; 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• tjtorborg
                • May 2010

Dave,

I submit each match to the CMP as a stand alone match and NOT a re-entry match. At least that is what I intended to do and will do that again for 2013. Funny how hard we will work for a little piece of metal isn't it? I lost count of how many matches I shot before I got the gold.

I'm really looking forward to 2013!

Tom

Comment

• Duce
                  • May 2012

The dates and formats don't look bad at all--but there aren't any for Aug-Sep-Oct!.

Probably won't participate in the sniper matches, but will do my best to show up for the other ones. My very first matches were last year (and you guys did a good job putting them on), so hopefully my scores will be improving this year.

Comment

• tjtorborg
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by Duce View Post
                    The dates and formats don't look bad at all--but there aren't any for Aug-Sep-Oct!. ....

Duce,

I know what you mean but August is a little busy with the Nationals at Camp Perry. Sept is out because other clubs in MN wanted to try this style of match so we didn't want to step on them. October is possible but by that time of the year I'm usually ready to give it a break for a while.

Later,

Tom

Comment

• Polaris
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by tjtorborg View Post
                      Duce,

I know what you mean but August is a little busy with the Nationals at Camp Perry. Sept is out because other clubs in MN wanted to try this style of match so we didn't want to step on them. October is possible but by that time of the year I'm usually ready to give it a break for a while.

Later,

Tom
                      Hopefully those other clubs will post their matches here as well. Don't think I'll be making Perry this year yet (antelope instead) so I need all the local events I can get.

Also, if anybody in the W/N metro wants to get in some march practice in this format, drop me a post, I'd love to spend a range day either with cf rifles or rimfire/airgun. I've got a big stack of 100yd reduced SR1s now and a new jacket to warm up. I can shoot 100 yards at my local club and bring 2 guests. If anybody is lurking out there and doesn't know if they want to commit to a formal match, I've got a couple of loaner as issued bolt guns and ammo to shoot in a match or for practice. Let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Looking forward to shooting all of these and apparently I'm losing to some pretty good riflemen.

Comment

• Polaris
                        • Mar 2012

MRRA has an additional match posted for July 20th, CMP games, GRRC. Is this accurate?

Comment

• tjtorborg
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Polaris View Post
                          MRRA has an additional match posted for July 20th, CMP games, GRRC. Is this accurate?
                          Unfortunately no it is not accurate. We had to shuffle some dates around to accomodate everyone. The dates listed in the thread are accurate.

Later,

Tom

Comment

• Siefly
                            • Jan 2011

Didn't make it to the Military CMP shoot at the GRRC range in 2012 but was there in 2011 for the 1st time. Had lots of fun with the M1 and was treated nice even though I'm considered a "cheese head". LOL. I live in Western Wisconsin.

Would like to make the CMP shoots this yr. I have two questions:

Can I use my M-14 (m1A) instead of the M1 garand?
                            Do I have to fill out any CMP paperwork prior to showing up?

I shoot the John Garand shoots at Eau Claire and also compete in the
                            CMP & NRA games at Camp Perry with the Garand, .O3 Springfield. M1 carbine and M-14.

Thanks in advance...

Dan
                            "Siefly"

Comment

• tjtorborg
                              • May 2010

Dan,

You are good to go both with the paperwork and the M1A. I might even bring one of my M1A/M14's this year. See you there!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X