Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2021, 11:44 PM

Default Can a stock manufacturer be IDíd by DAS characteristics?

A couple of questions about stocks...
Is there any resource available that will enable someone to identify a M1 stock manufacturer based on the characteristics of the DAS stamp on the stock?
How many different companies were involved in M1 stock production from the beginning of manufacture through the end of the rebuild program in the 1960ís?
Did subcontractor produced stocks (replacement or new such as Overton) receive a DAS stamp before being delivered to manufacturer or rebuild location?
Respectfully
EO
Old 01-21-2021, 06:54 AM

Default DAS is only part of the story when identifying stocks

The best way to distinguish between stocks is to become familiar with their physical characteristics. There are subtle and not so subtle differences with every maker.
The DAS stamps have a bit of a twisted history with mixed usage.
In the early 50's when HRA and IHC first started using the DAS Acceptance Stamp, they were obviously different stamps.
HRA and SA used stamps with a shallower arc to the three stars and IHC used a stamp with a much higher arc.
The IHC DAS:
[IMG][/IMG]

The HRA DAS:
[IMG][/IMG]

The SA DAS:
[IMG][/IMG]

When IHC finished production their stamp appears to have been transferred to Springfield since the high arc stamp started appearing on late SA production rifles. During this period you could get a Springfield rifle with either the high arc or the shallower arc.
This practice continued into the 60's since you see Springfield Rebuild rifles with both styles of DAS.

The DAS was the last stamp applied to a rifle that passed all inspections by a US Government Inspector and not by the stock manufacturer.

Make sense?
Rob
Old 01-21-2021, 01:14 PM

It certainly does. Thank you.
So who all made stocks besides SA, HRA, WRA, and Overton?
Were replacement stocks only made by the big 4 listed above?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:02 PM

Default DAS Stamps

The DAS stamp was only applied when the rifle had passed all of its tests, including proofing, function-firing, targeting, and a final inspection by an Ordnance worker who was looking for obvious problems with the rifle, i.e. cracked handguard, hard to open bolt, etc.

The inspector examined the hang tag (which was in a small plastic sheet protector and was affixed to the front sling swivel), noted that the rifle had passed all tests, stamped the rifle with the DAS stamp, and the serial number was logged into the system. Then the rifle went to the shipping department for packing, which included the application of desiccant.

The boxed and crated rifles were gathered into lots of 5000 rifles for delivery to the government and were probably shipped by rail, since IHC had a rail spur running into the plant.

I should mention here that one rifle was selected at random from each delivered lot of 5000 rifles to go through a grueling 6000-round endurance firing test - and there were limits on how many malfunctions the rifle could have in the test. As a matter of fact, the big problem at IHC during its first year of production was the failure of the endurance rifle to successfully pass this 6000-round test.

Happy collecting! --- GWB
U-2 and Predator Operations: Deliberate Force; Joint Endeavor; Northern Watch; Southern Watch; Noble Eagle; Enduring Freedom; Iraqi Freedom.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:22 PM

Springfield had a few different DAS stamps with one being what I feel was the IHC stamp once they were done with production. You will see late Springfield stamps with arched stars starting around the 5.6 million period. Springfield did not have just one style. Rick B
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 PM

By the way here is the HRA DAS that I own and keep hidden. It is shown in Bruce Canfields Book The M1 Garand Rifle. Lets not forget the HRA 3/8th DAS which I was lucky enough to have once. Rick B

Old 01-21-2021, 08:30 PM

Default Full disclosure

Guys,
Most of what I have learned about the different DAS I learned in various conversations with Rick B because I was confused about what I was seeing.

he is da man

Rob
Old 01-21-2021, 09:17 PM

Still hoping to find out if any subcontractors besides Overton supplied stocks to the four Garand manufacturers and who they were... Anyone???
While I have your attention, how about this one: When a replacement stock was added to a receiver during post war rebuild, would a DAS be used or just an inspectorís stamp, (like RIA FK) or would no stamp at all be common?
Thanks
EO
Old 01-22-2021, 04:53 AM

Not sure if there were any other stock suppliers besides Overton but the only facility to use a DAS in rebuilding was Springfield.

Rob
Old 01-22-2021, 09:11 AM

No other Sub Contractor during War time except Overton. That is a horrible rumor put into print by someone that planned to use all information off the internet and now if it is read it is gospel. After war time and pretty late they used Fajen and possibly SILE but not sure if it was more than a few hundred each for replacements at the Training bases. Rick B